Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2005, 07:56 AM

Default Starting to multitable

Hi All

I have built my BR up to $350 or so by bonus whoring and am trying to multitable the $5 and $10 SNG. But I can't seem to play more than 2 tables at any one time properly. I have tried staggering the start times, but this doesn't help me.

I am wondering whether I am better playing at the $2 tables until I get used to 4 tabling? Therefore risking less of my BR whilst I learn?

Advice from those who do 4 or 8 table and how they started out/how long it took them to master multitabling etc is most appreciated!

Tried a search and found a few threads regarding 3 tabling as easier than 4, but no advice about how to step up to 4 or 8 tabling (I'm sure its out there, I just can't fumble myself through the search quirks [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]).

Thanks in advance

Damian
Old 08-15-2005, 08:02 AM

Default Re: Starting to multitable

Its person dependent. Practice makes perfect. I started off 4 tabling, and then immediately made the jump to 8 tabling.

Yes, you are probably better moving down limits just so you get USED to the idea of multitabling, at least from a pscyhological "Safety Net" perspective.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:04 AM

There really isn't some secret, just practice makes perfect. I find 4 a doddle now to be honest, though I've been 4-tabling in sets for a few days, just through being a bit lazy. 6- and 8-tabling does require more concentration.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:48 AM

I wouldn't recommend more than 4-tabling unless you're running on more than one computer, or if you have an insanely large monitor. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

However, just play tighter! Play fewer hands, get used to clicking on the "Fold" button before action gets to you (at least early game), and try to take notes on players if you're not in a hand. Its much easier than trying to remember their names for future reference... write that junk down, and access it forever for the future. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-15-2005, 08:53 AM

I don't really bother with notes but use Poker Office's live stats to keep track of who's playing what, and their aggression factors, plus a few other stats here and there.

Yeah, you do need two monitors to 8 table, unless you like overlap a lot, or something
Old 08-15-2005, 10:55 AM

thanks for the replies

Have a 19" TFT so I can 4 table at VCpoker quite easily

NOTES?? LOL too busy clicking and trying to keep up [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

am 4 tabling the low buy ins and getting a feel for fold/call/push etc

Thanks for the positive feedback

Cheers

Damian
Old 08-15-2005, 11:18 AM

Just play as many tables as you are comfortable with, then add additional tables one at a time. You'll get used to it. I remember when I made the jump from 2 to 4 tables it seemed insane and I had a hard time keeping up. Now it seems slow. Just remember to take your time - there's no reason to feel rushed, if the other players have to wait a few seconds for you to move too bad for them.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:36 AM

cheers mong - yeah had a few zzzzzzzzzzzzzz in the chat box, so i turned it off, now I get bitched at for not chatting!!

LOL

been hard work this afternoon - played 6 sets of 4 - I am knackered!!

LOL

thanks for the encouragement

Damian
Old 08-15-2005, 12:20 PM

This will sound crazy to you at first, but you have more time to make your decisions than you think. One of my problems when I started multi-tabling was seeing all those tables blinking and trying to take 5 secs at most to make a decision.

Take your time, forget about the other tables just for a while and play the right way.

Also, I found that playing in sets is easier in the beginning.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:34 PM

I started to multitable on limit, and I started when I got bored with just playing one table. The transition for me to playing 4 STTs was natural. Just add a table until you feel that playing 2 is the same as playing 1, then 3 is the same as 2, etc. up to a reasonable limit.

I think I just got bored with 2, and then 3 at once, so I would just add another. I have 8-tabled, but I'm not doing it anymore until I get another one of those snazzy dell lcds. I wouldn't advise playing overlapping tables, though some do and have no problem with it.