Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2003, 01:39 AM

Default Raised out of two hands

Hi, These are two hands that I had trouble with, any insight would be greatly appreciated.

2/4 Online 45% of flop being seen.

Hand 1: This hand was interesting for me because of the large number seeing the flop. I'm MP with 5 5.

UG bets, loose EMP calls, I call, LP call, Button calls, SB calls, BB raises, UG calls, EMP calls, I call, LP calls, Button calls, SB re-raises, BB reraises, UG calls, EMP calls, I fold. Of course, I would have flopped trips and taken down the pot, but that may be irrelevant. Good fold, or were should I have called the re-raise?

Hand 2 (players in this hand are as good as I am - so take that with a grain of salt)

I'm in the sb with K 9 of clubs. MP calls, button calls, I complete.

Flop 6s 8d 9s

I bet out, call, raised by button. I call, MP calls.

Turn Jc

I check, MP bets, button calls, I fold.

I may be questioning these hands because I would have won if I had stayed in, or perhaps they are weak. Thanks for any comments.

Old 03-28-2003, 02:02 AM

Default Re: Raised out of two hands

Your fold in the first hand is terrible.

It looks like there were going to be 6 other players for 4 bets each, you would end up getting about 13-1 odds on your money when you have to call the last 2 bets. The odds of flopping a set are only 7.5-1. You won't have calls that easy very often.
Old 03-28-2003, 02:18 AM

Okay thanks. I guess that I was taken back/intimidated by the betting sequence. Obviously, I need to work on the concept of pot odds (I usually go by intuition - live and learn). I didn't realize that it was such an easy decision. Thanks very much for your reply.
Old 03-28-2003, 02:29 AM

Hand 1: I'm MP with 5 5. . . . Good fold, or were should I have called the re-raise?

If I read it right, you had 7 people in for 2 bets, SB made it 3, BB made it 4, and 2 in front of you called 2 cold. That makes 21 bets in the pot, giving you 10.5:1. Add in the likely calls behind you and you're getting about 12:1 on this call. In general, you don't want to be calling raises cold with small pairs, but this hand was an exception, you should have called.

Hand 2: I'm in the sb with K 9 of clubs. Flop 6s 8d 9s
I bet out, call, raised by button. I call,

You have top pair excellent kicker, I think you should 3-bet here. The button could easily have a 7 (97,87,76,77 could all raise here)and be looking for a free card. With such a small pot, most players would wait until the turn to raise a straight.

Turn Jc. I check, MP bets, button calls, I fold.

You should have bet. If you get raised, you'll have a decision to make, but you shouldn't fear the jack.

I may be questioning these hands because I would have won if I had stayed in, or perhaps they are weak.

Don't let us know what the results in the post. Put the results in a seperate post, you'll get better feedback that way.

Old 03-28-2003, 04:05 AM

hi nelson,
terrible fold. who told you to fold? you shouldn't have been in the hand unless you knew that it would go 5-way. eh, you're in a passive. no, you shouldn't have come in. who told you that you could even get in with that from EP in a passive? still, the dand thing gets aggressive, the very thing you want. and now you get out! for crying out loud! let's see the other one.

you can come in. you hit top pair in a three way and you get raised and call? for crying out loud!! you call? aw for crying out loud. you fold? who told you that you could fold? no. you cannot fold. don't tell me that you don't think you're leading. honestly, i really believe that you don't think your leading here.

you know what. i've got to look at some of these threads. who told you that you weren't in the lead? what's your name? nelson. not your fault nelson unless your not reading. i hope you have at least top and hfap. what do i have to tell you? yea, you're in the lead. are you the one that folded the 5s or 6s, the pair? you cannot do that. i'm not going to tell you to read nelson. if you want to do your homework thats up to you. i'm not telling you what to do.
Old 03-28-2003, 04:56 AM

On the first hand, you were getting about 11 to 1 odds on your last call, and you are 8 to 1 to flop a set. If you flop a set, you will also make additional money after the flop. What do you think you should have done? Anytime you have called one bet, and it gets raised, you will have better odds coming back to you then you did for your original call. If you entered the pot, you have to call the raise. If you called two bets already, call two more to see the flop.

The second hand, you could have called, but I don't think that folding was terrible. The button might have had a better nine, and your opponent is representing a jack, and the pot isn't big enough to call to hit a three outer.
Old 03-28-2003, 08:46 AM

Hand 1: Several people have already suggested that calling was best.

Hand 2: I would three bet here on the flop. This could definitely be a free card play. Does the button do this often? I would bet the turn, too.
Old 03-28-2003, 10:11 AM

IMHO, you played each hand too weakly.
Hand 1) you are getting 14 –1 to call the extra two bets pre-flop, and you are only a 7.5 to 1 dog to flop your set. You want to see this flop.
Hand 2) against average opponents I would 3-bet pre-flop. You have top pair and a very good kicker. Unless you know for sure that the button wouldn’t raise without better than top pair you are probably still ahead. Button could have 2 spades or even just a 7. Then you can bet the turn. I raised on the turn you can consider folding.
Old 03-28-2003, 01:29 PM

no, you shouldn't have come in. who told you that you could even get in with that from EP in a passive? still, the dand thing gets aggressive, the very thing you want.

Elysium, like everyone else I have a very hard time understanding your posts. Are you really saying here that in a passive game Nelson shouldn't play 55 after a couple of limpers? Are you saying he'd rather play it in an aggressive game?

If I'm understanding you correctly, you are exactly, completely, 100% wrong. You have it backwards. He has an easy limp preflop because the game is passive. If Nelson thought there was a good chance of a raise behind him he would have to think about folding preflop.
Old 03-28-2003, 03:00 PM

Ideally, you'd like the game to be passive preflop (so you can sneak in with your baby pair) and aggressive postflop (so you can pound the hell out of your set when you hit). Perhaps this is what elysium is thinking?

-- Homer