Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2005, 02:17 AM

Default \"Dont slowplay a straight\" but I do it anyway

Another hand without reads, sorry. This was from my second session ever at Stars .50/1, but the table did seem rather soft, if a little tricky at times.

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (11.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls...

Over and over again we're told to not slowplay the straight, don't slowplay the straight. And yet, here I am slowplaying the straight, even in a big pot.

Still, a raise on this flop seems like it would announce to the whole world what I have and kill the action; additionally the rainbow board makes a free card pretty safe, outside of an A or K falling and making us chop.

I see an argument for just calling here, and really little more than dogma telling me to raise. Someone wanna slap some sense into me?
Old 08-15-2005, 02:22 AM

Default Re: \"Dont slowplay a straight\" but I do it anyway

I'd check too.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:24 AM

By the time you raise the turn, more than half the players will have already folded. There's no guarantee that utg will bet again if you just call the flop. Someone else could have a big hand (like a set) and give you unlimited action.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:24 AM

I think a call kills your action more than a raise. A raise would usually be AA/KK/Set/KQ. A call on the flop and a raise on the turn tells everyone what your hand is.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:25 AM

Your hand is vulnerable to a chop and to a loss.

Someone who's going to call one on that flop will quite likely call two as well.

I suppose these comments sort of cut against each other, but I think you should raise for value.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:25 AM

This is a must raise man. Give people a chace to make some bad coldcalls here on a board that they probably connected with (in a weaker way then you of course).

Brad
Old 08-15-2005, 02:31 AM

No one raises with the nuts in .5/1 on the flop.

That is what is running through the minds of the people at your table as they desperately try to figure out what you have they beat, or can draw to to beat before they hit call, or sometimes raise.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:19 AM

very easy flop raise, let them coldcall with a K or A, trying to catchup, they will.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:25 AM

Raise. This is such a 2-pairy, straight-drawy, gutshot-y board they're gonna call and call and maybe raise and call and you win money.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:34 AM

Terrible slowplay man. How are people going to put you on the nuts just because you raised PF? You could be raising a lot more here. Additionally, the pot is big enough that people will think they're correct in continuing, but they actually aren't. And if someone else has a two pair, a weaker straight or a set, you are giving money away by not pushing this. Not to mention that so many LPPs like playing any paired face card to the river. They aren't going anywhere. Additionally, if by chance someone does fold a suited hand that matches the suits on the board, you will have saved yourself from a runner runner flush suckout some percentage of the time.

I don't see any argument at all for calling here. Raising is ++++++EV. Calling is [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]EV.