Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2003, 10:36 PM

Default What do you put my opponent on?

Here's a 1-3 hand that I guess should have been simple, but I misread the situation. I'd like to know your answers to two questions about this hand:

I have the low card and bring it in for $3 with (A [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img],A [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] )2 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img]. I did this because it was the type of game where I'd get one or two callers. Unfortunately, the two real live ones folded, but I did get a caller with the 7 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] as his doorcard. Here's what I know about him: He is a regular and a reasonable player. I haven't noticed anything unusual about his play either tonight or at any other time. Basically, your average, everyday straightforward player.

4th street: I have (A [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img],A [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] )2 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img]-4 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img]. He check-calls my $3 bet with the board of 7 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img]-T [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img].

5th street: I have (A [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img],A [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] )2 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img]-4 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img]-6 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img]. Again, he check-calls my $3 bet with T [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img]-7 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img]-3 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img].

6th street: I catch the beautiful A [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] , but now he pairs up and is still is high and bets out with 7 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img]-T [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img]-3 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img]-3 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img]. I raise and he calls.

1. What do you put him on here?

7th street: the dealer deals out the cards and instead of picking up my card, I watch him. He looks at his hole card and bets $3 into me.

2. If you do not improve, are you willing to lay down your trip aces here?

There, that's all. Pretty simple, right? Well, there is SOME reason why I'm presenting this problem (HINT, HINT).

Once again, assume a reasonable opponent who has an average understanding of how the game works and isn't overly tricky or thoughtful.

Results later...
Old 03-27-2003, 11:19 PM

Default Re: What do you put my opponent on?

I am assuming that this is a no-ante game. If so, I think that betting $3 into a dry pot with a big hand is terrible unless you are quite sure that you're going to get some action. Bring it in for a buck, and re-raise if given the chance.

On sixth street, I would say that your opponent has, at a minimum, a pair of treys and three clubs. I can't put people on hands, especially in small stud games. When someone does nothing but check and call, what can you put him on? You have three Aces. Go ahead and bet. If he check-raises, call. If you fail to improve, usually pay him off on the river unless he just couldn't check-raise without a completed hand.

When he bets the river, call. Who knows, he might have been drawing at God-knows-what and caught a third trey. There are several bets in the pot, and you'll probably win more than 12% of the time or whatever.
Old 03-28-2003, 02:21 AM

6th street:
He has a flush.
7th street:
Make a crying call. Can't lay down trip Aces. He may have crap. With 11 bets in the pot, your hand has to be good only 10% of the time to make calling correct.
Old 03-28-2003, 09:05 AM

I would have to assume your opponent had something to call your opening bet on Third Street: pocket pair, split pair, three-flush, three-straight. (I’m not saying his play was right) Fourth Street doesn’t help me hone in on his hand. He could have a four-flush, four-straight, or a pair. Fifth Street doesn’t help me define his hand, but he’s still coming.

On Sixth Street, he doesn’t bet out or check-raise, so I’d be pretty sure he hadn't started with two clubs in the hole, which narrows things a bit. I’d have to think he started with a pair, and now has two-pair, or a straight draw.

On the River, he must have hit something, and I have to doubt this opponent would miss his draw and bet two little pairs into you, since his pair of threes, didn’t slow you down a bit on Sixth. My guess would be that he hit his straight, backed into a flush, filled his little two-pair, or hit another three.

So…if you don’t fill up, you make a crying call.

Tom D
Old 03-28-2003, 03:21 PM

If he's reasonable and not what you'd call 'frisky' I'd put him on 777. He played this pretty calmly to have been rolled up though. The other possibility would be a pair of faces in the hole with one of them being clubs. I'm still thinking it's 777 though.

I think looking at his hole card is to get you to think he needed it.

If I do not improve, I call the river expecting to lose most of the time. You caught something on the river, didn't you?

Rockfish
Old 03-28-2003, 03:28 PM

he oculd have almost anything form trip threes to two pair to a flush. but i will tell you one thing for sure is that I am NOT laying down trip aces.

Pat
Old 03-28-2003, 04:26 PM

Truth, you say he is not overly tricky or thoughtful. He must be thoughtful enough to know you have something special, and he knows it ain't the 2. He's got to know you have a high pair, at least. By his calling with a seven, you know he has something that has a fair chance of beating your high pair. On sixth street he indicates your 3 Aces do not bother him; he does so by betting into you. I wouldn't raise a straightforward player here. I would be calling the river, unless I boated.

DisRdatMan
Old 03-29-2003, 12:07 AM

I think that betting $3 into a dry pot with a big hand is terrible unless you are quite sure that you're going to get some action. Bring it in for a buck, and re-raise if given the chance.

I specifically stated in the first paragraph of the post that this was the type of game where a $3 bring-in gets it heads up or 3-way against one or two live opponents.

On sixth street, I would say that your opponent has, at a minimum, a pair of treys and three clubs.

Are you trying to be funny or something? This was his hand, as I clearly stated.

I can't put people on hands, especially in small stud games.

Then why respond to a post entitled "what do you put my opponent on?"

Have you been drinking again????
Old 03-29-2003, 12:10 AM

On Sixth Street, he doesn’t bet out or check-raise...

As I stated in the post, on 6th street (when I caught my ace) he paired up with two 3's and did, in fact, bet into me. Does this change your read at all?
Old 03-29-2003, 12:54 AM

Default RESULTS and my thinking

When he calls the initial bet with 7 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] showing, the two most likely hands are a big pair in the hole or 3 clubs, probably with the A [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img], K [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img], or Q [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] in the hole.

So we get to 6th and he bets into me with 7 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img]-T [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img]-3 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img]-3 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img]. What could he have here? The main hands to consider are a flush, trip 3's, a full house, or a big two pair like queens up or jacks up. All of these potential hands crossed my mind at the table. When he just calls my raise, I tenatively ruled out a flush or full house. The reason is simple---he didn't reraise. With my board, the best hand I could have had would be a straight and the most powerful REASONABLE hand I could have would be trip aces. Either way, there is no way he is behind if he has a full house or flush. I would think that any decent player would reraise with one of these hands. So, I have to think he has trip 3s or two pair. Trip 3s is very unlikely because the card he caught was the 3 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img]. If he has two clubs and two red threes on his board, then it is more likely that he has trips (because maybe he started with 2 clubs in the hole, one of them being the 3 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img]), but there is really no hand he could have called with that has a three in the hole (maybe split sevens with a three kicker, but that is very unlikely and would give him a full house anyway with which he probably would have reraised).

On to 7th, he looks at his card and bets into me. Some people talked about the fact the he looked at his card first. Don't read anything into that. He didn't look at it in any unusual way. The only reason I mentioned it was because, as anyone who plays a lot of 1-3 stud knows, a lot of people like to bet/check the river without looking at their last card first. Up to this point I have shown lots of strength. So him betting into me tells me that the river card improved his hand. Let's think logically about this people, HIS HAND ABSOLUTELY HAS TO BEAT TRIP ACES AT THIS POINT . It could be a flush, but most likely it is a full house. At this point, I decide to fold my trip aces if I do not improve. He is not going to try to bluff me when he knows I'm going to call.

As someone already figured out, the reason I didn't tell you my river card first was because it was a four and gave me aces full. All my thinking about where he was and how I was going to play the river became moot. Needless to say, I raised and he gave me a crying call. A discussion broke out at the table as to what his hand was. He showed a club flush. As it turned out, he just missed a bet against me on 6th street. He had called the initial bet with 3 clubs, but no high ones making it a very bad call. When asked why he didn't re-raise on 6th, he said "I had no idea what he had", which doesn't make any sense. I guess I'll have to reconsider my opinion of this particular opponent.

So now, hopefully you can see why I was fooled! Anyway, thanks to everyone who took the time to respond...