Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2005, 11:32 PM

Default Short stacked home cash games

I play in a lot of small-stakes no-limit cash games with several different groups of friends. Each of the games has a similar structure, either .05/.10 blinds with $5 buyin, .10/.20 blinds with $10 buyin, or .25/.50 blinds with $20 buyin. I was never all that good at poker until this summer when I began playing online; however, the online games I've been beating have a much deeper structure, 100BB stacks.

I'm not really sure how to adjust strategies to this shorter (40-50BB) structure. It seems as though with these size stacks there is no way to get away from certain hands; for example, say I raise with AK, get a few callers, flop is A94 and I lead for the pot. If I'm raised by, say, A9, I'm practically pot committed already. How should I adjust my preflop raising amounts based on this? How should I adjust which hands I play?

Thinking about it myself, it seems as though I should only play top quality hands and make largish raises preflop. It doesn't seem like I have implied odds to try and crack other (pre-flop raised) hands with small pocket pairs and the like. Is this line of thinking correct? If not, what other adjustments should I make?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:31 AM

Default Re: Short stacked home cash games

play the same way man, if you're winning, something is working. for raises and stuff, i like protecting with 3-5x BB raises, most ppl will not understand this though =P if your regular style doesn't work, post some hands in the strategy forum