Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2005, 07:52 PM

Default How agressive with overcards/

On the turn I have 7 outs (2 overcards = 3 outs) and the gutshot (4 outs). Was checking the best play? Any comments on the remainder of the hand welcome.

Paradise Poker 0.10/0.20 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (16.50 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (8.25 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

River: (13.25 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Hero folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 19.25 BB
Old 08-14-2005, 07:54 PM

Default Re: How agressive with overcards/

Looks good, I like.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:02 PM

It looks fine to me.

The T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] isn't a completely clean out, and it's hard to know how good your overcard outs may or may not be (I'm not so confident in them, but who knows?).

But you're getting 12:1 on the turn, closing the action. I think that's good enough. And three cards could fall that would give you the nuts. Since I should be able to make some money on the river if I catch my gutshot, I'd call (getting an immediate 12:1) even if I knew those three cards were the only ones that would make me best.

If you and MP2 have the same hand and you're drawing to a chop, then that sucks, but I'd take that chance.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:31 PM

Even though someone with as little as 3 outs can call a flop bet, I think betting the flop has some merit. There is a chance someone might incorrectly fold in this large pot and you might get a free card on the turn.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:40 PM

i bet that flop.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Even though someone with as little as 3 outs can call a flop bet, I think betting the flop has some merit. There is a chance someone might incorrectly fold in this large pot and you might get a free card on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the table would need to be very passive (or the players would need to tend to make some silly folds) to make betting the flop worthwhile.

The table seems very loose, and I don't think we'll be able to do much in the way of cleaning up outs with a flop bet unless, say, we get checkraised by UTG.

But I don't want to get checkraised.

One way we could get a free card on the turn is if someone waits until then to checkraise (or makes a hand on the turn and then goes for a checkraise and whiffs).

But I don't know. I'm really not too happy about that flop versus this many players. Among other things, there's a really good chance MP2 is ahead of us. And getting checkraised by him would suck.

Even if he doesn't checkraise (and I'm thinking he often won't), he's not folding, say, his TT either, I'm pretty sure, with his pair and a gutshot. At least he isn't folding it yet, and I think we're going to need to show down the best hand to win, against this fairly big field, on that very coordinated board.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:59 PM

This looks very standard. Nice hand.
Old 08-14-2005, 09:01 PM

i would have raised on the flop to keep up the aggresion and possibly on the turn
Old 08-14-2005, 09:17 PM

Because of position I would bet this flop. You have plenty of outs and you can find out where you stand w/ a flop bet.

- Mark
Old 08-14-2005, 09:21 PM

I would've checked the flop unless there's been some really passive play and you were fairly certain this would ensure a free card on the turn. If you weren't all that sure of that, I'd take your free card now and see what happens.