Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2005, 06:58 PM

Default Party $200: Weak-tight, or good Common Sense?

I'm multi-tabling and watching the PGA Championship so I don't have too much of a read on the SB but he seems relatively reasonable from what I have seen. He let his timer run down to 10-15 sec. before calling my flop raise if anybody cares.

Party Poker (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
2 folds, UTG+2 raises to $7, fold, Hero calls $7, fold, MP3 Calls $7, fold, fold, SB calls $6 and BB folds

Flop: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font> <font color="red"> Pot= $28.50 </font>
SB checks, UTG+2 bets $15, Hero raises to $40, MP3 folds, SB calls $40, and UTG+2 folds.

Turn: T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font> <font color="red"> Pot= $122 </font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font> <font color="red"> Pot= $122 </font>
SB bets $50, Hero folds.

Final Pot: <font color="red"> Pot= $172 </font>
Old 08-14-2005, 07:12 PM

Default Re: Party $200: Weak-tight, or good Common Sense?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm multi-tabling and watching the PGA Championship so I don't have too much of a read on the SB but he seems relatively reasonable from what I have seen. He let his timer run down to 10-15 sec. before calling my flop raise if anybody cares.

Party Poker (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
2 folds, UTG+2 raises to $7, fold, Hero calls $7, fold, MP3 Calls $7, fold, fold, SB calls $6 and BB folds

Flop: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font> <font color="red"> Pot= $28.50 </font>
SB checks, UTG+2 bets $15, Hero raises to $40, MP3 folds, SB calls $40, and UTG+2 folds.

Turn: T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font> <font color="red"> Pot= $122 </font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font> <font color="red"> Pot= $122 </font>
SB bets $50, Hero folds.

Final Pot: <font color="red"> Pot= $172 </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

It's close, but I think I'm calling here even though i feel pretty sick about it.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:43 PM

what hands do you beat on the river ?

A pure bluff, KQ, Q5 or lower and middle pair.

I fold here without a great read.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:49 PM

You are winning this more often than 25%.
Call.
Old 08-14-2005, 09:14 PM

Bet the turn and check behind on the river.

Given how you played it, you have to call on the river getting those kind of odds.
Old 08-14-2005, 09:28 PM

I'm curious what you and the others who advocate a call are putting my opponent on that I beat at the river. Do you guys think he was calling down my flop raise with KQ or QJ, or do you think my opponent is goofy enough to have air here a sufficient amount of time to make a call appropriate?
Old 08-14-2005, 09:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet the turn and check behind on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is bad line. Hero played it well because now Villian will bluff from time or bet KQ.
I voted call because I think that in practice Hero win it more often than 25% but its close one. If there is no str8 Hero certainly should call. With this board fold is certainly not big mistake (if any).

Best wishes
Old 08-14-2005, 09:42 PM

I am assuming the stacks are deep. If the hero bets the turn he can represent the flush. If he gets check-raised, he can fold. By betting the turn, he can buy himself a cheap showsdown.

I would call on the river for the same reason punter stated.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm curious what you and the others who advocate a call are putting my opponent on that I beat at the river. Do you guys think he was calling down my flop raise with KQ or QJ, or do you think my opponent is goofy enough to have air here a sufficient amount of time to make a call appropriate?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would like to know as well, especially since we are ten handed. This seems like a close call even at 6 max. The check of the turn seems pretty standard for villans made flush.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:47 AM

This is a strange thing to say, but I think there's a pretty good chance that the bettor has a straight flush with 87 of clubs.

However, one important piece of information that is missing is how deep the stacks are. A $40 dollar bet (and raise) on the flop is pretty big to call if you're a short stack with just a flush draw or straight draw.

My initial thought was a set or two pair, but the bet on the river doesn't make a lot of sense on the river -- the board's too dangerous. I know it went check-check on the turn, but by betting $50 he's giving you 3.5-to-1 to call so that seems like a value bet.

I like the odds too, but a fold seems in order. A pure bluff doesn't make sense as he called a bet and raise on the flop, every draw got there. KQ seems unlikely too because he might fold it on the flop, and he might not bet the river.