Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2005, 10:05 AM

Default A touchy topic about race and genetics

First off, let me say that I am not making any statements in this post. I'm merely posing a question that others have asked:

Can the trait of human intelligence be divided genetically along racial lines?

Please provide considerable support for your response.
Old 08-13-2005, 10:17 AM

Default Re: A touchy topic about race and genetics

[ QUOTE ]
First off, let me say that I am not making any statements in this post. I'm merely posing a question that others have asked:

[/ QUOTE ]

you're getting far too close to applying science directly to social observations and eschewing the mass placation of politically correct liberal pseudo science.

If you take the next step and ask the real question, then you win.

fim
Old 08-15-2005, 11:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"Divided genetically along racial lines"? The very formulation of your question betrays your ignorance.

The question should be, is any human phenotype heritable and does the heritability of a given phenotype increase/decrease within a given gene pool (whatever pool you want to define)

Since traditionally "race" has been used to denote a difference a skin color, we could formulate the question thus: Is there a correlation with skin color and the heritability of a given phenotype, especially phenotypes expressed in mental characteristics such as, for example, musical aptitude?

After much painstaking research we could then conclude that yes, there is a correlation between black skin and mind-boggling musical talent. See Muddy Waters, Jimi Hendrix, Prince, Chuck Berry, Cole Porter and Robert Johnson.

There is a secondary correlation between that phenotype and the prodigious amounts of hot willing female ass that seems to flock to it. Strange, humbling, and true.

Your question is not as offensive as you think it is, which only shows what a dunce you really are, or what a dunce you think the rest of us are.

nmg
Old 08-16-2005, 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"Divided genetically along racial lines"? The very formulation of your question betrays your ignorance.

The question should be, is any human phenotype heritable and does the heritability of a given phenotype increase/decrease within a given gene pool (whatever pool you want to define)

Since traditionally "race" has been used to denote a difference a skin color, we could formulate the question thus: Is there a correlation with skin color and the heritability of a given phenotype, especially phenotypes expressed in mental characteristics such as, for example, musical aptitude?

After much painstaking research we could then conclude that yes, there is a correlation between black skin and mind-boggling musical talent. See Muddy Waters, Jimi Hendrix, Prince, Chuck Berry, Cole Porter and Robert Johnson.

There is a secondary correlation between that phenotype and the prodigious amounts of hot willing female ass that seems to flock to it. Strange, humbling, and true.

Your question is not as offensive as you think it is, which only shows what a dunce you really are, or what a dunce you think the rest of us are.

nmg

[/ QUOTE ]

FUCKIMG AWESOME POST NATE! POTY- politics, IMO.

this thread is over.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:38 AM

Yes, it can be and the preponderance of the evidence says that it is. IQ measures something quite real and after decades of testing, races do not perform equally. IQ is highly heritable as has been established by numerous twin studies. The one standard deviation that separates blacks and whites is omnipresent. The average IQ of American blacks is 85. The IQ of sub-Saharan inhabitants has been tested at roughly 70, with their university students averaging roughly 100. No other area of research is as suppressed.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, it can be and the preponderance of the evidence says that it is. IQ measures something quite real and after decades of testing, races do not perform equally. IQ is highly heritable as has been established by numerous twin studies. The one standard deviation that separates blacks and whites is omnipresent. The average IQ of American blacks is 85. The IQ of sub-Saharan inhabitants has been tested at roughly 70, with their university students averaging roughly 100. No other area of research is as suppressed.

[/ QUOTE ]

To what do you attribute the massive difference between US and African blacks? I would think this study is a powerful counterargument AGAINST any substantial dependence of IQ on race. Rather, it suggests that other variables (nutrition, culture, random variation, etc.) are responsible.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:44 AM

I'd never given any thought to this before, but after googling what I thought was a ridiculous statement by Eric (that average U.S. blacks' IQs were 85 while whites were 100), I've found that a lot of studies do in deed say this. Check out this one , particularly the last category: "Do Culture-Only Theories Explain the Data? Culture-only theories do not explain the highly consistent pattern of race differences in IQ, especially the East Asian data. No interventions such as ending segregation, introducing school busing, or "Head Start" programs have reduced the gaps as culture-only theory would predict."

Even wikipedia has an article on this subject.

I don't really know what to make of this info, but I don't see the NAACP having many positive things to say about it...
Old 08-16-2005, 01:44 AM

The book Freakanomics touches up on this a bit.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Muddy Waters, Jimi Hendrix, Prince, Chuck Berry, Cole Porter and Robert Johnson.

[/ QUOTE ]

sigh
Old 08-16-2005, 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
"Race" can't be "genetically divided along racial lines." That is, the concept of "race" (for the purose of scientific testing) is a pre-genetics anachronism. We now know that people within purported racial groups tend to be so genetically diverse that individuals of one race are more likely to be more genetically dissimular than than individuals of different races. Genetically, "white" people have more in common with "black" people than with other "white" people.