Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2005, 05:20 AM

Default Why do people limp-reraise with AA / KK ?

Hi all! Recently i wondered about the reasons why people limp-reraise with AA/KK at all. I never make that move for three reasons: 1. You invite people to suck out on you with worse hands by calling. 2. There is a danger that nobody will raise preflop, giving everyone a cheap flop. 3. You give your hand away meaning that everyone at the table will put you precisely on AA / KK and fold a worse hand on the flop / raise a hand that beat yours. What are your opinions about that move? Does any winning player make that move at all? Thanks for your answers, Wilma
Old 08-13-2005, 05:32 AM

Default Re: Why do people limp-reraise with AA / KK ?

it can be a good play, but you must be good enough to be prepaired to lay big pairs down if you catch a bad flop, if you fall in love with your big pair against too many callers it can cost you lots of bets.
Old 08-13-2005, 06:39 AM

In my opinion, #2 is a concern, and #3 is as well (though not as much). As for #1, though, one of the reasons I limp on rare occasion with aces is that I'm worried people won't call. Or, more often than that, in practice, it's an aggressive table and/or I have a maniac to my left (who raises preflop more than he 3-bets and who isn't getting much respect), I'm in EP, and I'm thinking there's not much chance it'll get limped all the way around.

Edit: I should add that I hardly ever go for limp-reraises with AA/KK. But I do think there are occasions for it.
Old 08-13-2005, 07:12 AM

Good point. I should have pointed out that i someimes just call with aces / kings when i´m in LP and all fold to me or on a very tight table where i fear all will fold. But i see people limpreraising in EP all the time and i consider this to be a really weak move EXCEPT for the cases where two people are colluding and the limpreraiser doesnt have a hand at all but is only backing up his buddys strong hand [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-13-2005, 08:06 AM

The limp/reraise with AA/KK is best used in cases where your opponents are unlikely to coldcall/3-bet your raise preflop, but you're likely to get a raise behind you if you limp. I find these two conditions to exist simultaneously on a SS table very rarely.

The plain & simple fact of the matter is, your opponents are usually going to call your raise anyway. And they're going to call a flop bet, and often a turn bet, because every preflop raiser just has UI overcards (or a lower PP, if the coldcaller happens to have hit his ace; it's amazing the ways your typical SS'er will convince himself to see a showdown against a PFR).

The move is intended to be used on tight, aggressive tables against thinking opponents who will note that you used it (so if you ever feel like limping first in with 98s or 44 or something, they'll think twice about raising behind you). Again, you're rarely going to find a table filled with players like this on SS, and if you do, you should probably be playing on a different table.

Once in a blue moon I'll LRR with AA/KK. More often I'll limp from EP with a medium pocket pair and then re-raise an LP raiser to isolate, but even that's rare.
Old 08-13-2005, 08:11 AM

Because its fun! Hooray!
Old 08-13-2005, 08:15 AM

because it makes them feel like
Old 08-13-2005, 10:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The limp/reraise with AA/KK is best used in cases where your opponents are unlikely to coldcall/3-bet your raise preflop, but you're likely to get a raise behind you if you limp. I find these two conditions to exist simultaneously on a SS table very rarely.

The plain & simple fact of the matter is, your opponents are usually going to call your raise anyway. And they're going to call a flop bet, and often a turn bet, because every preflop raiser just has UI overcards (or a lower PP, if the coldcaller happens to have hit his ace; it's amazing the ways your typical SS'er will convince himself to see a showdown against a PFR).

The move is intended to be used on tight, aggressive tables against thinking opponents who will note that you used it (so if you ever feel like limping first in with 98s or 44 or something, they'll think twice about raising behind you). Again, you're rarely going to find a table filled with players like this on SS, and if you do, you should probably be playing on a different table.

Once in a blue moon I'll LRR with AA/KK. More often I'll limp from EP with a medium pocket pair and then re-raise an LP raiser to isolate, but even that's rare.

[/ QUOTE ]

End of Thread
Old 08-13-2005, 01:16 PM

I do this approximately 0% of the time in limit, but occasionally limp reraise in NL tourney play.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is gospel. Breathe it in...

Tom