Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2003, 05:40 PM

Default Another $20-$40 Hand

The ATLARGE event was at the Taj this past weekend. If you happen to live there or have the means, my picture is on the front page of the March 22nd Region section in The Press of Atlantic City. [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

This is the same table as my last post titled $20-$40 hand. I'm in the SB with 9[img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img].

1st live one (L1) is in the BB. 2nd live one (L2) limps UTG. MP folds, CO calls (happens to be my friend), button folds and I complete. I'm sure no one advocates a raise here. L1 checks.

Flop: A[img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img]

I check with the intention of folding to any bet. It get's checked around. Hmmmm.

Turn: 9[img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img]

I figure I'll bet and take it down, right? L1 thinks for a little too long then finally calls. Everyone else folds.

River: J[img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img]

I bet and L1 raises. I call and L1 shows 8[img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img].

Does anyone else call the river here? Comments please.

~stephen
Old 03-25-2003, 05:47 PM

Default Re: Another $20-$40 Hand

Of course you call the river... you have a set! Your opponent could easily have two pair.
Old 03-25-2003, 05:48 PM

"1st live one (L1) is in the BB. 2nd live one (L2) limps UTG. MP folds, CO calls (happens to be my friend), button folds and I complete. I'm sure no one advocates a raise here."

--Not to be too results-oriented, but a raise here would have likely won you this pot.
Old 03-25-2003, 05:49 PM

preflop you said: "I'm sure no one advocates a raise here."

why?? wait dont answer that because it doesnt matter. raising here sometimes or even always would be perfectly reasonable.

"Does anyone else call the river here?"

of course. he could have all sorts of two pair type hands since he's a live one. the question is whether or not to reraise.
Old 03-25-2003, 06:14 PM

I'm sure no one advocates a raise here.

Well, you have a weak UTG limper, a decent player(?) in CO, and the BB to contend with. I'd rather play against two players than three. If there's any chance BB will fold, I might toss in a raise here. There are a few other potential benefits here. People will think AA/KK/AKs, disguising my hand. I can sometimes take down a pot if an Ace comes on the flop. In some games, that extra small bet gets me a look at the flop and turn. Anyway, my standard play in this situation is to call, but sometimes I'll raise.

I check with the intention of folding to any bet.

I prefer betting out and folding to a raise here.

Does anyone else call the river here?

Against your average "live one" I'll put him on two pair and re-raise here. Against a passive live one, I'll call. J7, Q7, J9 are among possible hands that will raise here. His turn pause could just as easily be him considering a raise w/ 77, Q7, Q9, A-rag etc.

Old 03-25-2003, 06:37 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

you win something?
Old 03-26-2003, 01:40 AM

you must reraise the river here buckshot. no option there. it's a must. reraise the river and if reraised (unlikely), you'll have to call.

hands like this come up from time to time. there is nothing you can do except congradulate your opponent, and encourage him to continue to play the same way on all his hands. occasionally you have to hand the live ones these type hands, and if your going to hand it to him, do so with a reraise. it's very good for the game. never berate the live one for drawing poorly. instead, congradulate him on a fine win. he deserves it!
Old 03-26-2003, 09:24 AM

when they thnk they usually have goofy str8 draw like double gut.

u can even check river if he respinds to river card as it comes off
Old 03-26-2003, 12:22 PM

Default The Real Question(s)

There were two things in this post that I'd hope would spark some interest.

1) Raising from the SB with pocket 9's.
2) Reraising on the river.

If one raises from the SB is there an auto bet on the flop, even if the flop contains 2 overcards?

Anyone who reraises the river and get raises again fold?

~stephen
Old 03-26-2003, 03:38 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: The Real Question(s)

out of position with 3 limpers, i would not raise this preflop.

i would 3bet a more aware player on the river, but not a fish.