Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2005, 11:30 AM

Default Difficult AK river decision?

Live 5/5 NL game at Foxwoods. CO has just sat down at the game with $1000 "because he had such a good day at the 2/4 NL table". I am in MP and have him covered.

Folds around to me. I make it $25 with A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

CO completes to $25. Button folds, SB folds, BB completes. ($80 in pot)

Flop comes K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

Check, I bet $75, villain calls, BB folds ($230 in pot)

Turn is 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I bet $225, villain calls. ($680 in pot). River is 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I check. Villain moves all-in for $675. My move?
Old 08-12-2005, 11:37 AM

Default Re: Difficult AK river decision?

I'd call and expect to see missed flush/straight draws
Old 08-12-2005, 11:43 AM

Yeah, the reason I checked in the first place was to get him to bet those hands, but somehow I didn't like it much when he moved all-in.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, the reason I checked in the first place was to get him to bet those hands, but somehow I didn't like it much when he moved all-in.

[/ QUOTE ]
you will like it after you succesfully induce bluffs from 7 high hands [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

anyways, you must call here, because you induced him to bluff on the river.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:57 AM

Does the fact that he called a pot-sized bet on flop and the turn cause you to question at all that he was on a draw?
Old 08-12-2005, 12:30 PM

What hand do you put him on that beats you?
Old 08-12-2005, 12:36 PM

AA, 88, A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 33

The key is to analyze why he was at the table - you know get inside his gamb0l. In your first impression of him, did you think he was a lucky loose type who wanted to gamble some more?

He could have been lying and he was actually stuck $1,000 so he wanted to make it back by gambling at limits above his skill level. If this was your impression and he seemed uneasy when he sat down, I'd call and expect to see a missed bluff.

Anyone who moves up just because they are doing well in one particular session gives me uneasy (but happy) feelings about the players skill level and bankroll management abilities.

If he seemed solid and not too crazy out of his mind, I'd lean towards a fold here. 33 or A4 are screaming out in my head here. If he's a loon, insta-call baby.

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Street Fighter [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 08-12-2005, 12:37 PM

Honestly, I didn't know what to put him on after the call on the turn. I thought that Kx, any spade draw with the 4 of spades, a straight flush draw, 44, or 33, were all reasonable possibilities.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does the fact that he called a pot-sized bet on flop and the turn cause you to question at all that he was on a draw?

[/ QUOTE ]

Im a 6maxer so my estimation of this full ring game is only arms length, but with villian only getting an implied 4:1 on the turn at best, little fold equity after your strong betting, and a paired board, calling turn with a flush draw only is a big mistake.

Id put him on a turn range of: Kx (50%), flush draw that includes the 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (10%), straight draw looking to bluff spades as well (10%), and 30% on hand that has you crushed.

Which makes the river range 90% beaten and thats even assuming he pushes his missed straight draw.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:00 PM

I would rather check the turn (and not the river) and
then call. The fact that he called a pot sized bet on
the flop signifies he has something. If he's also on a
flush draw and hits his flush well he hits it. The
fact that he called the flop probably means he'll
likely call the turn. But it is what it is, so...

... my spider sense says call. A lot of it will come
down to your instincts, because you apparently didn't
get enough information throughout the hand to figure
out what he might have (e.g. was he drunk and in a
mood to spew chips). You also have to ask yourself
why would he make such a bet on the river.