Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2005, 10:33 PM

Default A couple hands my friend played

A friend of mine is starting to play seriously and has been sending me hand histories for review. Here are two hands he played. I gave advice to him, but I want to make sure that it was okay. I'm sure these belong in Micro, but I'm more familiar with the posters here, so bear with me.

Hand 1

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Hero calls, MP1 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (8.75 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, MP1 calls, CO calls.

River: (12.75 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 18.75 BB

Hand 2

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (11 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP1 calls, CO calls, Hero calls, SB folds.

Turn: (7.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP1 calls, CO calls, Hero calls.

River: (11.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls.

Final Pot: 15.50 BB
Old 08-11-2005, 11:20 PM

Default Re: A couple hands my friend played

In hand 1, why not raise the turn and try and knock the other dorks out? Looks like this raise would have saved the pot for Hero. We might well slow UTG down if he puts us on AQ/AJ.

Hand 2 looks good. We have terrible relative position for trying to protect our hand, and the board keeps getting worse. Good fold on the river while not closing the action.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:27 PM

Tell your buddy he needs to be more aggressive on the turn.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:35 AM

1. don't lead into 4 on a board with that much broadway, it likely caught someone. then he makes his hand on the turn and doesn't raise? not good. and if he is absolutely compelled to show down on that river, check/call.

2. raise the turn, make T's and spades pay for their draws.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Tell your buddy he needs to be more aggressive on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Both hands or just hand 1? I think Hand 1 is a definite turn raise, which is what I told him. Hand 2 I think he played okay. Raising the turn doesn't protect his hand and it probably won't make anyone that we want to fold actually do it.

Edited to say glad you are now unbanned, you rebel you! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-12-2005, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

2. raise the turn, make T's and spades pay for their draws.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a bad idea, IMO. If we raise the turn, the others will be getting 12-14:1 on their call (if they have a spade or 10). These odds are more than good enough to call with those hands, so why charge ourselves 2 bets when we have to dodge a lot of cards on the river? Our pot equity is not that great in this spot, but it is good enough to warrant a call.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:58 AM

I agree, this board sucks and nobody that we want to fold is going away. but with 3 opponents I think he has enough equity to raise (not by much, but enough).
Old 08-12-2005, 11:51 AM

Hand 1: Check the flop. This flop probably hit someone and you won't win with a flop bet.
I'm not sure what to do on the turn. UTG checkraises the flop, trapping everyone = flush draw, open ended straight draw or a very strong hand. A raise is probably the best thing to do to protect your hand and make him pay if he has a flush draw.

Hand 2: Consider folding the flop. You have a one card gutshot which may very well win half the pot with so many callers and your overcards are probably no good here. You could be looking at 4 or even 2-3 outs to a split and someone could have a flush or full house redraw if you hit on the turn. The pot is big, so calling is probably not a big mistake though, but it's not an automatic call.