Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2005, 07:08 PM

Default Who can beat this downswing? 374BBs

I think im allowed to cry now. Anybody got a tissue?

While we're at it. If anybody can see any big flaws in my stats, please point them out river aggression is significantly lower than usual because of te latest swing...

oi
Old 08-11-2005, 07:13 PM

Default Re: Who can beat this downswing? 374BBs

Not that it'll make you feel any better, but you aren't value betting the river nor are you defending your big blind often enough. With that being said, ouch. I can hardly handle a 200 bb downswing without going insane, so I feel for you.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:22 PM

You are definitely allowed to. Sorry if I was harsh in your last post, but this is why I was. I've been through streaks like this one. I've had to drop down from 20/40, to 15/30, to 10/20. It's never fun. You really have to remove yourself from the game for a while, to analyze and study. Take it easy, don't just fire up 4+ tables of ur usual limit and keep at it. That's the treatment for about 174BBs ago.

There's a ton of good stuff out there on what to do when you're running bad. You need to look for large leaks, and look for tilt. You need to post hands here, and respond to posts. Don't be afraid to ask broad questions but make sure you focus on intricate details too. The smallest things can be traced to large leaks sometimes.

I don't know what your bankroll situation is like, but there's really no harm in moving down if you are stressed about the money. Even with a large bankroll for your limit, 374 is alot. Drop some tables, focus on every hand, think about your decisions. Don't play scared and don't play angry.

I've kind of stream of consciousness'd here, but I hope I gave you some tips. I know what it's like, and it may get worse (it did for me), but all you can do is try and play better and things work out.

edit: 28k hands in 11 days? That's no light workload.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:23 PM

Any tips on BB defense? I generally defend with any Ax, K7+ Q8+ 78s+ and all pairs. Should i just lower my standards a bit and start defending like 2 cards lower? (K5 Q6 etc)
Old 08-11-2005, 07:23 PM

nice post. this gives me a chance to comprare stats. how can you tell if you are value betting the river enough or not? thanks.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
nice post. this gives me a chance to comprare stats. how can you tell if you are value betting the river enough or not? thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

River AF.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:28 PM

I dont really post hands very much because i pretty much either am confident with my play, or know where i screwed up. My biggest leak is a lack of value bets, but for the most part i think they are pretty marginal.

Bankroll is not an issue. After the drop i've got maybe just under 1000BBs, so ill survive.

Heres a possible problem that just popped into my head. I find that when im BB and SB limps to me, I am usually pretty happy checking it down with nothing. Is it a good move to toss out a bet on the flop if checked to you regardless of my cards? I've considered trying that...

Thx for the input.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:29 PM

that sucks, but you still have a winrate that suggests you are beating the game after 23k hands, so that's something to be happy about.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont really post hands very much because i pretty much either am confident with my play, or know where i screwed up

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a leak.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont really post hands very much because i pretty much either am confident with my play, or know where i screwed up. My biggest leak is a lack of value bets, but for the most part i think they are pretty marginal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Trust me, don't take this as criticism. But I had exactly, exactly, exactly, the same attitude about posting hands as you do right before/during the beginning of my downswing. And we both know that -374BB most likely has something to do with more than random fluctuations. I posted a lot of hands that got the response "standard." And I think that's a worthwhile post even though no one else learns something from it, you know you are right. And when you're in a downswing that big, it's easy to question whether anything you do is right.

As for the blind question, it needs to be a bit more specific. I'm pretty liberal with my bets in that situation, but I usually need some type of draw (however weak it is) or overcard(s) to make that bet.