Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2003, 07:34 PM

Default $3-6 hand on Party Poker

I'm the SB. I'm dealt A[img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img]. UTG posts (impatient, aren't we). UTG checks, folded to CO-1 who raises. Given the extra blind in the pot, I think this could easily be a steal, and I seem to remember this player being fairly aggressive. I call, as does BB, UTG poster folds. 3 see the flop:

8[img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img]

2 overcards plus a gut-shot and a fairly scary board. I bet, thinking a bet here and on the turn might win the pot, and I have outs. BB raises, CO-1 cold-calls, I call.

Turn: A[img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img]

I check. I think this was a mistake. I should have bet it here, but I was worried about betting into a made straight that I might be drawing to a tie with. Its checked around.

River: 9[img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img]
My gutshot comes in. I bet, planning to call a raise (but not to be entirely shocked to see JT). BB calls, CO-1 folds.
BB turns over 5[img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] for the ignorant end of a 1 card straight.

Does everyone agree that I should have bet the turn here?
Old 03-24-2003, 07:49 PM

Default Re: $3-6 hand on Party Poker

[1] CO should be LESS likely to steal with the extra blind out there since the chances of getting called go up quite a bit.

[2] If you really believe he's stealing you should definately have 3-bet before the flop: your hand does MUCH better heads up since it can realistically win without making a pair. Those chances go way down if one of the blinds calls.

[3] The calling the flop raise was a little on the weak side if you presume you MUST snag a 9 to win, since if so there is probably only 3 left. So betting when you snag an Ace is supposed to be an option if you felt good enough to call the flop raise. The real question is whether someone who can already beat Aces will fold (unlikely), or if someone DRAWING to beat Aces may fold (which IS likely). I would bet if you knew BB to be a little on the assertive side (increasing the chances your Aces are good).

- Louie
Old 03-24-2003, 08:38 PM

Default Re: $3-6 hand on Party Poker

Preflop:
I wouldn't think he was on a steal as he would have to successfully get the button, SB, BB, plus UTG poster to all fold. I would put him on something legitimate. If I did suspect a steal, I'd reraise him to get it heads up and see how serious he is about his holding.

Flop:
By my count there are 7 SB in the pot. The flop is very coordinated plus there is a two flush out there of a suit for which you have none. Your gutshot is a weak draw with only using one of your hole cards so it must be devalued some. If you make your gutshot, you split with any T and lose to QJ. If a club falls, redraws are now setup with any club. You are out of position and have a preflop raiser who probably has a legitimate hand. I just don't think this is a profitable situation to be in. I'd check/fold the flop.

I think there are just too many things