Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2005, 04:28 PM

Default Middle set from BB 10/20

UTG is loose and the two hands I've been in with him he's called me down to the river and raised big one time and bet big the other time when I checked to him. I folded both.

I'm in BB with red 5's. UTG limps, everyone else folds, SB completes.

Flop 2 5 8 r. SB checks, I bet $40, UTG raises $120. SB folds. I reraise $300.

What do you think of my line? I thought he might have a big pair (over 8) that he would commit to on the flop. If he did have a pair a lot of cards could scare him on the turn which is why I didn't wait to raise.

JKratzer
Old 08-11-2005, 04:32 PM

Default Re: Middle set from BB 10/20

uh i think your line is good if maybe party blocked your chat and you wanted to tell him you had a set but couldn't type it in the little box.

otherwise i would smooth call and lead turn half pot hoping for a raise. or maybe check raise. who knows.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:49 PM

Stack sizes?!?

[ QUOTE ]
Flop 2 5 8 r. SB checks, I bet $40, UTG raises $120. SB folds. I reraise $300.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yikes. This line just SCREAMS set. If the board were two tone, I would like it better.

[ QUOTE ]
I thought he might have a big pair (over 8) that he would commit to on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he is indeed the kind of player to go broke in an unraised pot with an overpair, then the line is fine, and you should play with him every chance you get.

[ QUOTE ]
If he did have a pair a lot of cards could scare him on the turn which is why I didn't wait to raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't imagine any cards that are much scarier than the big 3 bet from the BB.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:03 PM

OK, I guess I was a little too aggressive. Thanks for the input. BTW we both had about a full buyin.

JKratzer
Old 08-11-2005, 06:20 PM

This seems like a great spot for a turn check raise. If he isn't betting the turn, he's probably not calling a 3-bet on the flop anyway, so you don't lose much value there.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:32 PM

My default in hands like this is to aim for the stack. The reraise on the flop prety much defines your hand, i cant get away from middle set here, if he has 88 I just have to get broke.

Lead the flop call the raise. Donkbet the turn for about 2/3 of the pot and pray he raises you. If he just calls the turn bet, bet about 2/3 of the pot on the river. You want him to raise you somewhere along the line, but you also in case of backup plan want to extract value for this baby.