Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2005, 03:53 PM

Default Beginners Idiot Play?

On reviewing this hand, I don't know what I was thinking. Is it obvious that I should have folded to the 3-bet on the flop??

Paradise Poker 0.10/0.20 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $0.10.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls, MP3 calls, CO (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (8.75 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP1 folds, Hero calls, MP3 calls.

River: (11.75 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero folds, MP3 calls.

Final Pot: 13.75 BB
Old 08-11-2005, 03:54 PM

Default Re: Beginners Idiot Play?

You have an open ended straight draw and two overcards. Do some math. You should definitely not fold here. You played it fine but figure out why.

-DeathDonkey
Old 08-11-2005, 03:56 PM

Calling the flop 3-bet is correct because you are getting odds. But I would have raised the BB the first time because you have an OESD and two overs. By raising, its possible to get a free card on the turn and you will be facing the most of the field with two cold. This increases their chance of folding, which helps clean up possible over card outs. If you had raised and BB 3-bet, you still have odds to call down to the river. The rest of the hand looks good.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:01 PM

For calling the three bet, the pot is giving you ~7:1, right? (2SB to win ~15SB) and you have ~8 outs to the nut straight (Four Ks, Four 8s) but two of them might not be clean (spades put up a three flush) so you have about 47:6 or ~8:1 which aren't enough direct odds to call... but then there are implied odds... which I'm not good at, but I think are enough to make your call on the flop correct.

On the turn, you're getting ~10:1 to call and you're still drawing for the same outs. So I think this is still a good call.

On the river though, I'm not sure what you're hoping to beat? I understand that it is a decent sized pot... but really how can you win it?

edit: D'oh... I didn't count the overcards pairing as outs... so you definitely had the outs to call
(still working on my basics... as you can see.)
Old 08-11-2005, 04:06 PM

Ok, I have the two overcards and the OESD for 11 outs. So I guess this was a "Beginners Idiot Post".
Old 08-11-2005, 04:06 PM

Does anybody raise the flop the first time instead of calling BB's bet??
Old 08-11-2005, 04:08 PM

Fold to the double-bet on the flop. I'd rather raise the flop, though.

EDIT: I thought three different people were betting and raising. Call the double bet. If three different people were betting and raising, I would be afraid of a set and think I don't have enough clean outs to call two cold plus and extra bet if the flop is capped.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why fold to a double bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get it. Why fold?
Old 08-11-2005, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't Fold to the double-bet on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-11-2005, 04:18 PM

I thought three different people were betting and raising, indicating there's likely a set or T9 two pair maybe. But there are fewer ways for there to be a two pair, I think...?