Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2005, 03:42 PM

Default Short Handed, yet unsure.

Table was a full ring game, but had dwindled down to six. Main villain is pretty soft, and indeed has paid me off quite nicely this game due as much to some great luck on my part as his willingness to call down.

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, Hero calls, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (5.40 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Button folds, BB folds, UTG folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.70 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks.

River: (3.70 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

Final Pot: 5.70 BB

Posting the whole hand because quite frankly the only street I'm sure about is the river. Is 66 acceptable short for short handed play, despite reduced implied odds should we hit a set? Is it worth a raise?

On the flop, well i have a four flush but I can't like it with a six. Mama and HEPFAP always told me not to draw to the flush in this situation, and since we' re 5 handed to the flop any advantage of playing shorthanded is removed. I have no idea whatsoever what my line should be at this point, so I check, and call like a little telephone when it turns out it'll be heads up.

I see no reason to bet the turn, but when he doesn't bet it's clear he's on a flush draw, so I can safely bet the river, correct?

People here keep extolling on the virtues of middle pocket pairs, but they can be really difficult to play postflop [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-11-2005, 03:52 PM

Default Re: Short Handed, yet unsure.

I definitely fold the flop. If you'reat all unsure of your play with mid PP's, you can play them as "no set, no bet, fit-or-fold" poker with +EV just fine. You could also consider raising preflop. It's not essential given the other limper. Since this looks to be a loose passive table, limping and hoping for more limpers is an OK plan, too.

I think this guy might have a mid to weak Q that he's not overly enthusiastic about, particularly if he has a diamond, too. He might have 77-99 w/ a diamond. If he's a reasonably aggressive player, he'll probably bet more hands that you beat than he'll call with, and if he's passive, he'll probably check behind on the river with more hands that have you beat than he'll fold. I think I check this river, and probably fold given the LPP read.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:55 PM

This is ok, consider checking the river to induce a bluff. If he is on the flush draw he can't call you right??

-DeathDonkey
Old 08-11-2005, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is ok, consider checking the river to induce a bluff. If he is on the flush draw he can't call you right??

[/ QUOTE ]

Given what I've seen him call down with, sure he would [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

He's also fairly passive, but it's hard to judge since the game was 4 or 5 handed the whole time he was here.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He's also fairly passive, but it's hard to judge since the game was 4 or 5 handed the whole time he was here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given this I'd fold to the flop bet.

If UTG is loose (which most players who limp utg are) I would consider raising preflop to isolate unless you think everyone will come along anyway.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:22 PM

I personally prefer to raise pocket 6s preflop just to get the button and gain control of the hand.

Really like your turn and river. Villain played the hand like a busted flush.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:34 PM

ok newbie question -

Flop: Raise / Fold ?
Old 08-11-2005, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is 66 acceptable short for short handed play, despite reduced implied odds should we hit a set? Is it worth a raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

I raise this here. Try to isolate and get position. Because as you said, you generally wont have implied odds for a set.

Without a pfr, I fold this flop.

On the river, if you feel the odds that he'd bluff with a hand that you beat, is greater than the odds that he'd call your bet with a worse hand than yours, then I'd check/call him.

You said he's willing to call down, but what would he call a river bet with that you beat? Ad? 2s or 3s?

Looks like a Q with a mid/low diamond to me.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:51 PM

If UTG doesn't limp here, you should raise here. Sometimes you should raise anyways.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:00 PM

Those calling fo iso-raises, keep in mind that this is .25/.50; you'd be very, very lucky to get it heads-up or even three handed. Even buying the button would be less than a 50-50 shot IMO.

Villain showed down J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], way to go.