Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2005, 01:39 AM

Default Greatest strength/weakness as a player

I'm curious to hear responses on this, what do you feel is your greatest strength or skill as a player and what is your greatest weakness?

My best skills are table selection (I'm a table selection nazi, if the preflop action isn't the way I like I bail) and the ability to take direction (aka I am naturally a weak/tight pansy and would always call with say TT preflop but after reading SSHE and posting on these boards, I of course raise, even though it's against my natural tendencies I know it's the proper play so I grit my teeth and do it).

My greatest weakness is that I get very discouraged if I'm not consistently winning. I still feel like I should be up at the end of ever long session and it bothers me if I'm not.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:51 AM

Default Re: Greatest strength/weakness as a player

I think I play horrible poker. Better than my current opponents, who play atrocious poker, but I still think my overall game is weak.

My strength is my determination to get better and willingness to learn and take correction when I'm wrong.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:11 AM

Worst: I can't find folds often enough, whether its the infamous check/call flop, check/raise turn maneuver, or the call, call, raise river on ragged crap boards. I also hate giving up my hands when I blind steal/defend (kinda in line with the first problem). I also let the monetary aspect frequently keep me scared, as in, when I move up, I have a hard time adjusting to the bigger pot sizes. For example, a 15BB 2/4 pot isn't nearly as scary for me to lose as a 12BB 3/6 pot, even though it's technially bigger in the limit sense.

Good: I feel like I make excellent value bets. I also vary my play well against thinking opponents (both 2+2ers and people I've been sitting with at a table for a while). I also don't tilt very frequently, since although I get pissed, I know that I must focus harder not to get carried away. I also think I blind defend/steal fairly well, and being able to fold is making it even better.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:15 AM

Strength: Playing against good players. "Slowplaying" and pot control (though this isn't too important in LHE).

Weakness: Overestimating all players. Shotty table selection. Playing trashed all the time.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:19 AM

Strength: I dont do anything particularly well

Weakness: Anger management. I wouldnt say I tilt on the table, but I've been known to throw stuff, punch things, and scream things like "[censored]", "[censored]", "bitch", and the occassional "[censored]"
Old 08-11-2005, 02:19 AM

Strength: Getting lucky in big pots.

Weakness: Ignoring my gut feeling
Old 08-11-2005, 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Weakness: Overestimating all players. Shotty table selection.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was talking with baronzeus yesterday, and we both agree that even though you claim to be a losing limit player, it spawns completely from the fact that you think too rationally for .5/1-2/4. We also discussed that you'd be crushing higher limits since they are way more rational, and your hand reading skills are better than everyone that posts here (probably because you play NL, and you always make an effort to put people on hands, something I fail to do frequently until I review the hand).
Old 08-11-2005, 02:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Strength: Getting lucky in big pots.

Weakness: Ignoring my gut feeling

[/ QUOTE ]

You tilt like crazy. You also grind those downswings like no other.

EDIT: Another weakness -- I don't play enough hands. Like 1000/week is probably way more than I've been playing.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:32 AM

strength: I don't tilt, um thats about it

weakness: not valuebetting enough, not focusing enough, lingering at bad/average tables too long(have decent table selection for the most part), not always stopping once I think about being done for the day .. getting too curious and making bad calls
Old 08-11-2005, 02:34 AM

I never said shillx was good. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]