Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2005, 06:01 PM

Default Table bully on my right, moderate chip stack

This is more of a general strategy question than a specific hand question, but I'll give a partial hand to work with for example purposes.

Mid-way through a Stars satellite rebuy tournament, well away from the "money" but the rebuy period ended about a half-hour ago. The table bully is on my right, he'll raise 4x the BB with any suited connector or better in EP or MP, and with what seems like any two cards in LP if it's folded to him. His aggression has worked pretty well at the table, and he's got the most chips at the table, about 3.5 times my stack size. Obviously, the table is currently somewhat passive. If he catches any piece of the flop, he'll play it to the end even against stiff betting -- and he's been getting lucky and snapping off ace-high bluffs left and right.

I'm a little short stacked at this point -- par is around 11k, I've got 5.8k, and blinds are 200/400 with a 25 ante. I'm not staring into the abyss, but I can see the "road closed" sign in my rear view mirror.

I get dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in MP2, and it's folded to the table bully in MP1 who makes his standard raise to 1600.

I've got essentially two options, as I see it:

1) Push. A minraise here is already more than half my chips, so just raising is a bad idea.

2) Call, possibly with the intention of pulling a stop-and-go. The downside here is that if he's already got a pocket pair or catches any of the flop, I'm not going to get him off his hand, so I've got to hope that I flop something or a stop-and-go is just likely to cost me all my chips.

Despite my just-less-than-premium hand, I think it's too good to consider folding -- especially based on his possible holdings and my stack size.

How would you play this hand?
Old 08-10-2005, 06:27 PM

Default Re: Table bully on my right, moderate chip stack

You don't have position for a stop'ngo, I vote for pooooosh, but I'm just a noob [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-10-2005, 06:47 PM

I would push. I bet he folds 9/10 times-especially if the table has been giving in to his bullying.

If he's been raising 4x with suited connectors, if he had KK, AA, AK or QQ - I'm sure he'd raise a lot more...

PS - also a tourney noob
Old 08-10-2005, 08:44 PM

I push this in a split second

The table has allready 2200 chips, that you would like to pocket without fight.

AQs is a very nice preflop hand, but it IS vulnerable.

try to take the pot now.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:18 AM

Here I would push. If the player wasn't a hyper-aggressive table bully, I wouldn't. But with the aggressiveness of the raiser, there is probably a good chance that you have him beat pre-flop, and if not are probably only a small underdog.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:31 AM

Easy push given your read. Also as previously stated, you can't stop n go when you have position [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

-Rizen