Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2005, 12:23 AM

Default UB $10-25 NL, AKs

Looks like a very simple hand and I know I also botched it ... am curious about one thing, however:

For people who play in this game: How frequently do you re-raise an unknown short-stack EP raiser with AKs in LP? I've been playing in it a little here and there and doing well in general, but it's definitely a lot looser then games that I normally play in.

The short stack in this hand has been playing since I sat down (about an hour) and appears to be tight, doesn't play a lot of hands and the last two times he raised pre-flop, he check/folded to flop bets on a ragged flop.

On to the simple hand that I botched:

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $25 BB (9 handed) converter

Hero ($2759)
SB ($3186)
BB ($2500)
UTG ($2365)
UTG+1 ($1363)
MP1 ($1359)
MP2 ($2455)
MP3 ($2725)
CO ($1657)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls $25, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to $110</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls $110, Hero calls $110, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls $85.

Flop: ($475) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets $475</font>, CO folds, Hero calls $475, UTG folds.

Turn: ($1425) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets $778 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls $778.

River: ($2981) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $2981

Thanks guys - your comments are much appreciated, as always! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

- ZeroHour
Old 08-10-2005, 01:55 AM

Default Re: UB $10-25 NL, AKs

Push the flop, your pair outs might be clean against his range of hands.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:58 PM

if you want to play this hand, you gotta push the flop. He's not gunna fold his last 700 that you leave him on the turn unless he has absolutely nothing in which case pushing the flop gets him to fold and you win a nice pot. But also, if you dont hit on the turn and he bets his last 700, you have to call getting 3 to 1 on your money
Old 08-11-2005, 02:53 PM

Push the flop, for the reasons already said.

You're a coinflip against any overpair that's not AA

As Ks 491 49.60 499 50.40 0 0.00 0.496
Qs Qh 499 50.40 491 49.60 0 0.00 0.504

As Ks 442 44.65 548 55.35 0 0.00 0.446
Kc Kh 548 55.35 442 44.65 0 0.00 0.554

And it's fairly unlikely that he has a boat, since he's a tight player.

Iif this push makes him fold any pair, it's a huge win.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:49 PM

i actually like not pushing, if you're pot committed to call on the turn anyway.

he is not folding his qq or whatever he has come this far with anyway.

so if it is all getting in regardless, the only way you can win unimproved is if you keep letting him either bluff at you or bet his AQs... these are unlikely but there is a slim chance, and since you have like 0 folding equity, i like just calling down.

what i mean to say is, a push folds worse hands but any pair is calling once it has come this far and the pot is so huge, IMO.

thoughts on this?
Old 08-11-2005, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
he is not folding his qq or whatever he has come this far with anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]
This far? A PF raise and a flop bet?

[ QUOTE ]
since you have like 0 folding equity, i like just calling down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree with this.

You think that 99 has an easy call here?

I don't think that a tight player bluffs off his stack in this spot.

The upside that I see to calling is that maybe you can get UTG to come along for the ride, his presence doesn't screw up your odds of winning too much, since you can't really clean up any outs here except for the spade of their PP, and it adds a lot of extra money into the pot.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:06 PM

i was just going to add that. if utg has a middle pair, that's awesome if he comes along, which just calling can accomplish, if he has JJ. you lose one less spade out if he doesn't have Js and get the equity of his whole stack when you hit.

as for the 0 folding equity, "this far" in this situation is quite far. weird situation but there was a huge reraise preflop and a ton of callers. the pot is so big at this point that a reraise all in for the rest of villain's stack is like 1/3 the pot... he is getting 3 to 1 on his 700 dollar call. anything willing to reraise huge preflop and fire huge into a million people on this flop is coming along for the ride, IMO.

edit: sorry thought it was reraised pf, it is actually 10-25. either way villain is short stacked so point still stands.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"this far" in this situation is quite far

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah.. you're right, especially since villian led into the field. I hadn't quite considered the number of people in the pot.

And again, since you are getting odds to call on the turn, whether you improve or not, I guess the call is in order.

The only situation where raising would be great is if Villian has AK and UTG has a pair, however, this is a pretty unlikely scenario.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i was just going to add that. if utg has a middle pair, that's awesome if he comes along, which just calling can accomplish, if he has JJ. you lose one less spade out if he doesn't have Js and get the equity of his whole stack when you hit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt UTG is committed with JJ or similar overpairs if a spade or A hits the turn and the turn action goes, as it most likely will, check, bet all in, call.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:45 PM

ok or some of his stack... point is you want him in the pot since him being in does not affect whether or not you hit/win or miss/lose and it adds of the money to your bankrolllll. having him in for the main pot means calling an all in for a dry side pot though if he does indeed push a blank turn (unlikely situation, he'd have to know your exact hand, he's played this thing pretty timidly so far why would he all of a sudden shove?)... but i think the pros of having him in outweigh the cons. and yes i think he might be able to put you on tt or something if a spade falls and spades if an A or K falls provided he is not great so it's not necessaril true that you won't get his stack.