Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2003, 01:13 PM

Default Clarkmeister and Babe at Mirage 10-20

Here is a hand I hated alot vs. Clarkmeister at the Mirage 10-20 last week. CM open raises from 2 off button. C/O folds and I 3 bet from the button with 10s. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Blinds fold and CM 4 bets it. Hmmmm? How dare he 4 bet the Babe? [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] Must have a "real hand" like Kings or Aces . So, I just call the 4th bet wondering if I'm already behind (who thinks I should cap?). Flop is 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 10 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] . I both like and dread this flop for obvious reasons. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] CM bets and I raise. He 3 bets and I call, again wondering if I am DOA with that lousy set of 10s [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] (who thinks I should 4 bet here?). Turn is a J [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] Yikes... this is quite the drama now [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] He bets and I think for a second about folding and realize NO WAY...NO...surely he cannot have 2 Queens and bet that strongly on the flop (unless he has Q [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]) . And...surely he cannot have A,Q and bet that strongly on the flop unless he has A [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] . And...surely he does have the A [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] (with another Ace most likely). Ok, fine....I just call as I suspect I am not getting him to lay down whatever ghastly hand he now holds(who wants to raise here?). With one card to come I am trying to decide what "safe" card it might be and I decide that a 10 would be good [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] The river is the 4 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] CM checks [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I check behind him and wonder if it's possible that my hand is good. Who wins this one? LGPG, Babe [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img]

Old 03-21-2003, 01:54 PM

Default Re: Clarkmeister and Babe at Mirage 10-20

With the river check, the meister could have had black 9's or KJ (no hearts) and your hand is good.
Old 03-21-2003, 02:03 PM

you need to bet on the end on this one babe. he might laydown a better hand (most notably a set of Ks) given your image.

Old 03-21-2003, 02:05 PM

"the meister could have had black 9's or KJ (no hearts)"

no these hands are impossible. clark would not 4 bet the babe preflop w/ these. he must have AA, KK, or QQ.
Old 03-21-2003, 03:01 PM

I know a fair bit about Clarkmeister’s game from reading his posts, but all I know about the Babe is that she is very tight pre-flop. What’s missing in my analysis is whether Clark thinks he can push the Babe off a hand. My guess is that with his reputation, he can’t.

Clark’s raise pre-flop means he has two cards. Babe’s 3 bet means she has two very good cards. If I’m Clarkmeister TT night be the lowest I’d expect her to go here. He still 4 bets, so I think he has more than just 2 cards. No cap ( I don’t think I’d cap it) so if I’m Clark I’m thinking Babe has TT, JJ, QQ or AKs, maybe AKo.

On the flop Babe raises, so if I’m Clark I rule out QQ and JJ. I have her on a set of T’s or top pair top kicker, maybe a maded flush or maybe Ah. He 3 bets. Now I’m putting him on AA, KK, AKs or AKo. When babe just calls I put her on AK no flush. I think Babe should have 4 bet here.

Turn puts the straight out there, but neither hand seems likely to have a Q at this point. Clark bets Babe calls, hard to tell. I’m thinking AA or KK here for Clark. 4 betting the flop might have helped determine which.

Checking the river means no Ah for Clark. I think there are more hands he could have that lose to the Babe than beat her so I will say he had AA no heart and Babe wins.
Old 03-21-2003, 04:16 PM

Well this is quite the mess you got yourself into babe! His 4-bet preflop would have to mean something awfully powerful against your reraise. Capping it would not be a horrible choice as it would surely make CM fill his drawers unless he held AA. This cap might help to move him off a better hand postflop. I put Clarky on KK for top set.

PokerPrince
Old 03-21-2003, 04:22 PM

You have the most artistic posts of all 2+@ posters: all those red hearts and yellow faces. Nice!

Now I'll read and see what words of wisdom, if any, I might have.

Regards,
Andy
Old 03-21-2003, 04:59 PM

mr. clarkmeister takes this one down babe. if you beat his black aces.....nah, you didn't beat his black aces. but gee babe, terrific read by you on the turn. one things for certain, mr. clarkmeister didn't have queens. the only real issue is; was mcm going for a check-raise on the river? while i think that you may have strongly considered laying this one down on the flop, albeit you'd never do that, your terrific check-down on the river also gets notable mention.
Old 03-21-2003, 05:09 PM

the problem with betting here mike is that babe is a heavy underdog if called. also, she needs....at least a set of kings to call his check-raise so, by no means should she bet the river. and then you have to ask," when is the last time clarkmeister folded a set of kings?". not...mike, not in all of recorded history. so there is no hand that he will fold that beats the babe.
Old 03-21-2003, 05:42 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Checking the river means no Ah for Clark. I think there are more hands he could have that lose to the Babe than beat her so I will say he had AA no heart and Babe wins.

[/ QUOTE ]

I read it just the opposite. I'm pretty sure Clark would bet here with no heart, and he would almost certainly bet the A [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] . I'm putting him on Q [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] Qx. Checking the river picks up an extra bet if Babe tries to value bet/bluff a set and saves him a bet if Babe has A [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] Ax.