Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2005, 06:14 PM

Default Situations I hate.

Getting my ass whooped taking a shot at the 10/20 6max. Feel like I'm playing pretty well but I know I screwed this hand up.

I raise AKo (with the K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]) UTG. Coldcalled by a loose-passive CO and a LAG Button. Decent SB folds, LAG BB calls. 4 to the flop for 8.5SB.

Flop is Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. BB checks. I check. Loose passive checks. Button checks.

Turn is the 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. BB bets.

What's my plan now?

Rob
Old 08-09-2005, 06:19 PM

Default Re: Situations I hate.

I'm sure you know you should have bet the flop.

I guess you call, you're getting 5-1, and you have roughly 7 outs (you're K is only really worth maybe 1, and your A is worth like 2, plus the gutter) so a call is worth it.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He was probably worried about getting into a big-ass raising war when so many of his outs are likely iffy at best. That high, connected flop probably hit SOMEBODY . . . and right now, all he's got is the nut no-pair. It's not even a matter of building the pot bcs he has sufficient implied pot-odds if he hits on the turn/river.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He was probably worried about getting into a big-ass raising war when so many of his outs are likely iffy at best. That high, connected flop probably hit SOMEBODY . . . and right now, all he's got is the nut no-pair. It's not even a matter of building the pot bcs he has sufficient implied pot-odds if he hits on the turn/river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Why should he have bet that flop?
Old 08-09-2005, 06:28 PM

Tough one. I don't think a fold is awful here, I'm probably peeling one and folding UI.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:38 PM

Your check on the flop is fine. You very rarely have the best hand and you don't have that great equity. Your outs for a pair are very tainted. Especially the K which would give any J the straight. Also there is a high risk that someone either has two pair or gets it if you make a pair.

It sucks that BB bet the turn, it would be so nice if you could check it again and someone _behind_ you bet instead so you closed the action, then it might be an easier decision.

However, since you checked the flop and everyone checked behind you it's fairly likely that none of the other players have much. The BB is a LAG so he could be making a bet with very little (perhaps only a J for a straight draw or a flushdraw?).

But even with all those reasons not to fold, I still think I like a fold on the turn. It's a tough spot though. So if you folded on the turn I like your play. If you did anything else, I am not sure, but checking the flop is good!

P.S It's very easy to fall into a habit of always betting the flop just because you raised preflop. But you didn't make that mistake.. more power to you [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-09-2005, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But even with all those reasons not to fold, I still think I like a fold on the turn. It's a tough spot though. So if you folded on the turn I like your play. If you did anything else, I am not sure, but checking the flop is good!

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-09-2005, 06:58 PM

Peelin always. An A is probably good. Based on the action you can evaluate if a K is good and with a bunch of LAGs you're going to get crazy action if a J fills in.

And I never ever bet this flop.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I guess you call, you're getting 5-1, and you have roughly 7 outs (you're K is only really worth maybe 1, and your A is worth like 2, plus the gutter) so a call is worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Betting the flop here sucks. Seriously.

My turn play sucks as well, but that's an entirely different matter. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Rob
Old 08-09-2005, 07:14 PM

The only play I hate here is raising. If you are reverse dominated, it is probably by the BB (and he isn't going anywhere), and you want a naked King to call behind you if that is what someone has. I probably fold here though, but if the pot were bigger I would peel.