Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2003, 01:27 PM

Default Can you fold after making three bet pre flop

6-12 at Canterbury Park- loose game alternating between passive and agressive
99 in cut-off; 3 limpers to co-1 who raises; I 3 bet; button folds, sb folds bb calls two cold, one early limper four bets cold called by two and original raiser caps; my read is that the original raiser has a better pocket pair; I think the limpers are gambling with suited cards; I am sure we will have 6 way action

I am 90 percent sure I need to hit a set to win; do I fold or call the twelve to see the flop?
Old 03-20-2003, 01:47 PM

Default Re: Can you fold after making three bet pre flop

Folding would be absolutely insane. The only way I'd fold is if one of my opponents showed me that he has the other two 9's.

If you are going to have 6 way action for 5 bets each, and you only have to call 2 bets, you are getting 14-1 on your call. Folding would be a huge mistake. I'd call with any pair in that spot.
Old 03-20-2003, 02:03 PM

Easy call. You can take 1 off on the flop too. I would have coldcalled preflop there BTW given your description of the game. Or fold if the raiser is Rocky McRock.

Shoulda come said hi to me last night in the $15, wasn't gonna play it but the $8 wasn't even going(?). You could have witnessed the elite poker masters of Canterbury's "high limit" games coldcall my (the guy who doesn't play any hands) PF 3-bets with K2s and 85s vs. my jacks, and coldcall twice for a total of $75 with 94o versus my kings. No I'm not kidding. And no I didn't win either of those hands obviously [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] "Somehow" due to hands like the below I did OK [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Cards are dealt. 2 people fold. Tight button raises. SB calls. I call in BB with 75s. All call. 41 chips after rake.

The flop is an OK one for me of 8 6 4 rainbow. SB bets out, I just call, no one raises. 62 chips.

The turn is a 8. SB bets, I raise, UTG coldcalls, folded to SB who calls. 98 chips.

The river is a 7. SB checks, I bet, UTG calls, SB thinks for approx. 20 seconds and overcalls. 116 chips.

I show. UTG shows Q8o. SB shows... 64o

Dealer pushes me the pot. I give her "the look". She doubletakes and gives me "the look" back. I tip her $1.

[img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-20-2003, 02:27 PM

The better question is, why did you 3-bet? Coldcalling is the correct play for sure.
Old 03-20-2003, 02:29 PM

I don't get it. What exactly is "the look?"
Old 03-20-2003, 02:31 PM

You should call the additional two bets with any pair, as you are getting 14:1 on the call and are only 7.5:1 against making a set on the flop.

I think the best play preflop is to coldcall. It is rarely correct to coldcall preflop but this is one of those times.

-- Homer
Old 03-20-2003, 02:34 PM

Look by vehn - These players suck.

Look by dealer - Uhhh yeah, ya think....btw, give me a tip ya cheap bastard.

-- Homer
Old 03-20-2003, 03:18 PM

My B--I misread and thought that Vehn exchanged "the look" with the player who had 64o.
Old 03-20-2003, 03:51 PM

This is easy, there will be 28 small bets in the pot preflop, and you have to put in two more, so you are getting 14 - 1 on your next call. Your odds of flopping a set are better than 9 -1, so folding would be a big mistake. Additionally, if you make a set, and it holds up, you are going to make a lot more bets posttflop on this hand because just about everyone will have odds to continue at the minimum to the turn.

You will very likely have the odds to call on the flop to take one off to try and spike a nine on the turn, and you may even have to call 1 bet on the turn to see the river.

Given that there were so many callers, I would probably have called the preflop raise, instead of three betting, and hoped to play this hand for 2 small bets preflop.

How did it turn out, last time I faced this scenario, 43 off had the nut straight on the turn, and my KK had to hit the muck when it was three big bets to me, but 87 off made his straight on the river to take down a 40+ big bet pot.
Old 03-20-2003, 03:57 PM

That game is juicy, and I know you can beat it, and I think that I can also.

My wife and son, are going to visit the relatives overseas for two months, I will be eating a lot of Canterbury Park hamburgers in the next 8 weeks.

See you at the park.