Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2005, 09:02 AM

Default Big hands, large pots, and protection on the flop

My first orbit at the table, having just gotten on from the waitlist. No specific reads, but table is characterized by a lot of calling and cold-calling. People like to play hands.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 max, 9 handed) http://216.119.70.224/converter/hhconverter.pl

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $1.
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, CO (poster) calls, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (22.50 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero ...

Who thinks this is a "wait for the turn" type of hand, and who goes to war right here?

Oh, and anyone bothered by the preflop cap with AKo after the limp-reraise?
Old 08-09-2005, 09:09 AM

Default Re: Big hands, large pots, and protection on the flop

i would reraise, considering the villian 3 bet on the flop, prbably has a pocket pair(hopefully not jacks)
Old 08-09-2005, 09:11 AM

The pot is massive. People are going to call with pretty much anything here. You have trips with the best kicker and the backdoor nut straight AND nut flush draw. Your hand is so strong here that you don't need to worry about knocking people out. Just get as much of your money in as absolutely possible.

I think any attempt at knocking people out in this pot is futile at any rate, so pooooooosh it.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:13 AM

Im stuffing money into this pot like a turkey on Tday.
cdl [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I don't see the point of waiting for the turn. You're not folding anybody there either with that pot (especially at a passive table such as this). I'm valuing betting this right there. You might get a few to fold when they see 2 bets and possibly more to come from UTG. But, There's nothing to protect against here. Your hand is not vulnerable to anything that you can get to fold as far as I can see. Extract from them on the flop while they chase speculative flushes and straight (both of which you have good redraws against).

Preflop is Exxxxcellent (said like Burns). Look at all of those cold callers handing you money.

[ QUOTE ]
Who thinks this is a "wait for the turn" type of hand, and who goes to war right here?

[/ QUOTE ]

you answered your own question i think:

[ QUOTE ]
table is characterized by a lot of calling and cold-calling. People like to play hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and anyone bothered by the preflop cap with AKo after the limp-reraise?

[/ QUOTE ]

no. you've got great relative position on him for the flop...
Old 08-09-2005, 09:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There's nothing to protect against here. Your hand is not vulnerable to anything that you can get to fold as far as I can see.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-09-2005, 09:36 AM

Raise and make a silent prayer no one sits with KJ. Anyone who would call one bet will call two bets with this flop so no point in waiting.

The preflop cap is good because even if UTG has a good hand you probably have a much better hand than the other players, so let them pay you off preflop.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:45 AM

I don't mind the PF cap with AKo because you're making a lot of players face calling two cold, thus hopefully eliminating them so you're only up against 2-3 players.

I would re-raise immediately. There's no way you're protecting yourself from any of the draws out there with such a huge pot, and you will have a redraw to the nut flush if a 3rd spade falls. Make those drawing pay you off while they are. I would expect a 3-bet from UTG, allowing you to cap it.