Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2005, 11:07 PM

Default Adjustments in kill games after winning a pot

I play in a B&M 20/40 game that features a full kill when someone wins two pots in a row. If this happens the stakes double to 40/80 for the next pot and the person who caused the kill is forced to post a live kill blind of $40 and still acts in turn in the preflop round.

Obviously posting the kill blind is undesirable, and therefore I should tighten up the next hand if I win a pot, but I am unsure how much to tighten up.

First off what is the -EV of having to post the kill blind? I know from my pokertracker online 2/4 stats that my EV from the BB is - .2 BB. I assume my EV from the kill blind is somewhat better than this because I have better position. Although I have to post that blind @ double the stakes, so I'm guessing a reasonable guess of the EV penalty I suffer in the pot that might get me the kill blind is - .15BB * 2 or - .30BB.

So how much should I adjust due to the effective additional rake I have to pay if I win this pot.

I usually adjust in the following ways, but I have done no math behind this so it is just an intuitive guestimate. I
do the following:

fold rather than raise KQo and AJo in early position.

fold QJo,JTo, KTo, & QTo from late position in an unraised pot.

if folded to me in late position, only steal raise with a hand I would raise in middle position. (like this ever happens)

Postflop I tend to treat the pot size as 1SB smaller for pot odd calculations and fold in marginal situations.

Am I overadjusting or is this about right? It occurs to me that this effective additional rake isn't any bigger than the actual rake in say a 4/8 B&M game (about 1SB) and I don't make these sorts of adjustments in a B&M 4/8 game. hmmm.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:13 PM

Default Re: Adjustments in kill games after winning a pot

One of the biggest adjustements you should be making is not related to tightening up, but rather playing for larger pots after winning one. For example, if you've just won a pot and now you're in the CO with something like KJ or A9, and it's one limper to you, this is a hand you want to avoid, not just because you want to tighten up in general but also because if you're going to win a pot that "kills" you, you want it to be of a decent size (to compensate you for the -EV of the kill of course).

Obviously, however, if you have a big hand and a nice positive expectation (say something like JJ with a couple of limpers to you), you'll have to suck up the potential kill and play it normally. Playing suboptimally just to avoid a kill is generally incorrect except in marginal spots (like the KJ above).
Old 08-08-2005, 11:16 PM

Default Re: Adjustments in kill games after winning a pot

I had thought of this, and I definately take that into consideration. I'm pretty happy to be in a multiway raised pot (which is fairly common in this game), but I want to avoid a situation that is something like me in the cutoff vs. the BB.