Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2005, 01:06 AM

Default 4 flush on 4th

I will try to do this by hand as best as possible since the converter doesn't support the site.
7 card stud tourney. $30 buy-in.

6 players left. Stakes 25/50. All very even in chips.
Seat 2 is tight, usually has a pair if he's in.
Seat 4 is pretty fishy, sees 5th on every hand unless there is serious betting.

Seat 1: (xx xx) 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] brings in 10 __ folds
Seat 2: (xx xx) A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] completes to 25
Hero : (A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]) 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] calls 25
Seat 4: (xx xx) 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] calls 25
Seat 5: (xx xx) 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] folds
Seat 6: (xx xx) 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] folds

4th street. Pot=115
Seat 2: (xx xx) A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] bets 50__calls
Hero : (A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]) 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] raises to 100
Seat 4: (xx xx) 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] folds

5th street Pot=315
Seat 2: (xx xx) A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] checks
Hero : (A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]) 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ????

My read is that Seat 2 has a pair of aces. Certainly not aces up because he is very aggressive on 4th. But, he certainly will not fold his aces because I know he has read and follows Super System (which suggests calling down with premiums unless opponent pairs door, 4 flush/straight)

At this point, is it worth pumping chips into the pot?

Is the raise on 4th ok?
Old 08-08-2005, 01:08 AM

Default Re: 4 flush on 4th

On another note, do enough people play study tourneys here for me bother posting hands?
Old 08-08-2005, 01:42 AM

post away.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
6 players left. Stakes 25/50.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite a turnout, eh? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I'd usually just call on 4th; bring Seat 4 along for the ride maybe, but raising isn't very wrong(if in fact it is wrong at all).

BTW if I had the A's I'd defo re-raise on 4th and bet out when you brick on 5th. Mebbe he's got two clubs in the hole. I think you have to bet when he checks.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Quite a turnout, eh? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I should have mentioned it was a STT
Old 08-08-2005, 09:38 PM

If you don't know what you're going to do when you blank off on fifth, you probably shouldn't be raising on fourth.

I assume that the ante is T5 or some such. Third street is probably worth a raise. If the Ace is raising light, you can probably get it heads-up with position. Flat-calling is fine too, and that's what I'd do most of the time.

Fourth is worth a raise, but I'd rather have the third man in the middle. You have an excellent hand, and you should welcome action. I would probably flat-call, but raising is fine, too. By getting it heads-up, you have position and will probably be able to take a free card should that suit you.

There seem to be two 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]s in this deck. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Suffice to say that you didn't hit on fifth. I would probably bet here and consider taking the free card on sixth. If you check now, it should scream "flush draw." I don't see why the other guy has to have Aces. If I had Aces, I probably would have three-bet you on fourth. Maybe he doesn't have much and will fold. This would be a good result for you. Only one way to find out.

Since this is early in the tournament, there isn't much reason to play it any differently than in a cash game, except that some folks may be trying to play well where they wouldn't bother in a cash game. I would guess that most of the folks in the tournament forum don't play stud tournaments, so even hands from the latter stages would probably be best posted here.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

There seem to be two 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]s in this deck. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

oops! yeah, i hit the 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] sorry.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:47 PM

I would probably just call 4th here. You want to keep the third player in the hand with your draw. Once you raise I think you have to bet out 5th and try to scare the chips into your stack. I would check behind on 6th if you whiff again though and start praying for the miracle river.
Depending on your stack size here I would consider taking a stab at it if you miss on the river. If he is real tight he might fold an unimproved pair in this spot and the pot is decent sized to make a move for it.