Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2003, 03:24 PM

Default Winning too much

Hi,

I host a card game with about 6-7 of my friends. It is a very good time and it is low limit ($1-$2) However, I win all the time. There are many nights when at the end I have all the chips.

This has nothing to do with me being a great poker player. My friends are just bad. They are BAD. Now many will say this is a great situation and it is. But I do not want to let the game die. It is fun.

I have lost money on purpose so that we can keep the game together but it is HARD. Any advice?
Old 03-18-2003, 11:28 PM

Default Re: Winning too much

School'em

They'll get exited whit what they learn and be more enthousiatic to play. Thay will also have more fun but won't catch up to your level soon enought to prevent you getting the money [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

-Happy [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 03-19-2003, 08:46 AM

I tried that. However, the guys I play with either do not care to learn or just are to stuborn to listen. And they get mad when you try and teach them something.

But it is kind of brutal. I mean I call with almost anything pre-flop and at the end of the night I will literally have all the chips.

I honestly do not think there is anyway I can level the playing field.
Old 03-19-2003, 09:52 AM

Then stay friendly, play your best and either they will figure out that they need to improve, they will go broke and kill the game (which would happen anyway if you end up with ALL of the chips), or they are playing purely for entertainment.

Don't go crazy with check-raises and milking every bet you can. Show some mercy on the river.. etc.

After that, spend the cash
Old 03-19-2003, 11:33 AM

Increase the ante relative to the limits. This makes their chasing ways more correct and may distribute the money a little more randomly. They may think you are trying to make bigger pots for yourself, however.

It's a problem we all wish we had.
Old 03-19-2003, 04:41 PM

It's a problem we all wish we had.

I got that, err... "probleme" myself!!! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

hehehe!

-Happy [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 03-21-2003, 12:12 AM

Everyone else has assumed you are a far superior poker player compared to your friends. There is a chance, actually a likelihood that the deck is running over you and the cards have just not come close to becoming even yet. I am not saying this is true but is something you should consider. if you have played less than 1000 hours together it is pretty likely to be a large part of the reason for the lopsided distribution.

Now if you truly are head and shoulders above these fellas then offer to buy the beer or pizza or dancing girls [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img], that should keep the game together.
Old 03-21-2003, 08:45 AM

Very very good point about card distribution. But this game has been going on for over 3 years and I would say we average about 6 hours a week.

Now you all may be saying that it does not look like the game is breaking up if we kept it going so long. But I have consistently won over these years and it seems that there is starting to be a little less interest in the game from SOME people. I have purchased beer and food and I guess that is how it has lasted this long.

The other issue is that some people NEVER and I mean NEVER win. I guess I should just enjoy it and not worry about it.

Thanks for all the input
Old 03-21-2003, 09:51 AM

Default Requiem For A Home Game

I've been here. I'm the superstar in a home game I play in.

This home game is dying. The fish did get somewhat wiser over the last four years. Those that did not, left the game. It wasn't the money. It was the humiliation. There was one loose passive in particular who won once in all the sessions he ever played in. When he raised he had it; he only got calls from anyone who had him beat. When he called it was with anything; people just kept on betting and he kept on calling. He does not speak to anyone from the game now. Then someone gets himself a girlfriend and you can no longer count on him on a Saturday night. Sure, every now and then someone comes along and sits in but unless he's got poker in his blood he probably won't last too many sessions as even a good player is going to be hard put to take the money off us with our unknown playing standards and penchant for Anaconda and Tenessee.

To top everything, the guy whose house the game was at (it suited him and it suited everyone else) went schizophrenic. We are all friends of this person. We play on but it's not the same.

We had a hardcore of three or four regular players and up to eight floating players. At the moment, a lot of us are in denial but the game IS dying. Can you hear the violins playing? It is enough to make a grown man cry. Boo-hoo.

Only the Gods can keep a home game going.

What of me? Well, I play in a B&M that holds a NLHE tourney (a constant stack rebuy event). I am also investigating the possibility of playing online maybe at Paradise or elsewhere but who knows?
Old 03-24-2003, 05:08 AM

I have a friend who has the same problem. But his game just started not so long ago. It's a NL game. He wins about $500/night. They play every week. And he has been winning big the last couple of weeks. He's scared that the other players wont come anymore. Some have lost up to $1800.

I have two friends who are very wild. They're addicted to gambling. They try to draw every hand. They've been losing for months now. The game isn't big. They lost about $100 every time. But I feel bad about it. I told them not to play anymore. But they keep playing and they keep drawing. Last time he asked me if I could transfer money to an online account so he could play. He has no creditcard and he wants to try online poker. I refused because I know he's gonna lose it anyway. It's very annoying, because he's addicted to a game he can never win. Unless he starts to learn, but I haven't seen him improve the last months. Still calling impossible draws. He never raises. When he has the nuts he goes all-in. I've told him many times. But some never listen...