Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2005, 07:03 PM

Default I love when top pair gets raised on the turn.

Because I have no idea what the hell to do, especially since my opponent has played a whopping 5 hands.

It seems as though every time I get raised on the turn with top pair or less, there's a good chance I'm hopelessly beat.

Is there a 6-max turn raise secret someone I haven't figured out yet?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (8 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB caps</font>, Hero calls.

River: (13 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 15 BB
Old 08-07-2005, 07:24 PM

Default Re: I love when top pair gets raised on the turn.

I would not fold. He might have sited ace of spades. I would play same on all streets.
Old 08-07-2005, 07:31 PM

You played it perfectly fine, imo. The only other line to take is to not 3 bet the turn, and I'm weak enough where that is something I'd probably do. I just see two pair check/calling and then check/raising much more than a decent Ace or a pair and flush draw.
Old 08-07-2005, 07:34 PM

It seems as though every time I get raised on the turn with top pair or less, there's a good chance I'm hopelessly beat.

then why 3-bet?

calling is ok in these games, especially with no read AND position.
Old 08-07-2005, 07:35 PM

I wouldn't fold the turn because I think more than 15% of the time someone is bluffing with a flush draw or overplaying a pair of aces or bluffing with a gutshot straight draw or something else.

I wouldn't three-bet though because I think you're ahead much less than 50% of the time.

My very amateurish guess is that you are ahead about 20-30% of the time.
Old 08-07-2005, 07:38 PM

I would have called the turn raise, then raised the river. Less likely to get reraised by a better hand.