Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2005, 12:28 PM

Default Top two NL50 (big stacks)

Villian (100, I cover) open for 2 from CO I call with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] from BB

Flop 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
I lead for pot (5) he calls.

Turn 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
I make it 15 he calls

River 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
I make it 20 and he pushes.

Mostly its my river line that I am wondering about. Villian is unknown, hero is betting because he "feel" this player wilol pay of with tptk.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:31 PM

Default Re: Top two NL50 (big stacks)

Call, there is a good chance he is getting out of line. If he had a hand that beats yours I think he would have raised before the river to protect against all of the obvious draws. Your line was good.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:40 PM

I think I may check/call river just because I don't want to get into this situation.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:49 PM

What's villians preflop hand range?

I can't see a set here.

Maybe a very strangely played AA/KK?? I'm confused.

Without knowing anything about the villian though, I probably check call the river. The 1/2 pot bet looks very weak.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:49 PM

The only thing I can put him on is a goofy played straight. But bha, I dont get this hand.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:53 PM

Yea I know, it confuses the hell out of me.
He would have raised me on the flop with on over pair.
Old 08-07-2005, 03:11 PM

Unless he makes plays I don't think he's pushing TPTK or weaker here. I'm thinking he has 77, 99/TT maybe (less likely) strange flush draw that hit a smaller 2 pair. if I had a set I play it exactly the same when my opponents tells me he'll put in a lot of chips without my help
Old 08-07-2005, 03:45 PM

I fold to the push, I think you'll see a set here more often than not.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:16 PM

I say it's an easy call. Here's my reasoning.

I highly doubt we're up against a set. I don't believe a set passively calls a $5 flop bet with a flush and straight draw on the board. The only real fear I have is a flopped straight, but again, with the flush draw out there, I'm less inclined to believe they'd take it that slow.

I also believe your turn bet of $15 when blank comes is suspiciously big. I know it's a pot sized bet, but I think after a $5 bet it looks like a bet that doesn't want a call. Now on the river you've got $45 in the pot but choose to back down to less than 1/2 the pot. This looks scared and seems like a busted draw or back off bet with just top pair - decent kicker. If he's got an over pair, A10, K10, or possibly even an under pair if he puts you on a true busted draw, or a total bluff, it justifies his move. I'd say all of the above vs. the flopped straight possibility justifies a call. If he had less money, then I tend to be more convinced he has something, but I still call. If he started with a $100, he's got 22 in and is upping your $20 to $78..this is enough leverage to get you to lay it down, which is what I suspect he wants.

You never know what goes through the minds of NL50 players, but I'd have to stick with the reasoning above and take a shot.

JobyWan
Old 08-07-2005, 04:21 PM

One other possibility that comes to mind is a scared set. If he did flop a set but was taken back by your aggression on the flop and turn, he may have taken your weak river bet as the green light for his set. But, if he truly thought your river bet was scared, why go all in. You call if you've got him beat and lay down things like 2 pair otherwise. A set either calls so as to not open up the betting again, or bets for value if he truly believes he's good. I stick with my first thoughts, but wanted to add the set note.

JobyWan