Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2005, 12:54 AM

Default I have a Focusing Problem

I think my A game is pretty good--not spectacular, not pro-worthy, but solid successful poker.

I have a problem not playing my A game enough. I'll play well for an hour or so but then I'll start thing that maybe it's not too bad if I cold call with KTo or that maybe the guy that raised preflop doesn't really have a good king when he pushes a king high flop. So I pay my price and I tell myself I'm an idiot, then an hour later I do the same thing again.

I want to put a stop to it. Anyone got any tricks or techniques to use to help maintain that focus?
Old 08-07-2005, 01:35 AM

Default Re: I have a Focusing Problem

There is a thread in the philosophy forum entitled willpower you might want to read, as well as the corresponding chapter of the same name in Poker, Gaming & Life by Sklansky that you definitely need to read.
Old 08-07-2005, 03:45 AM

Generally you have to lose a lot of money before you realize how important it is to focus.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:24 AM

If you're not a pro and you're talking about on-line play, why play more than an hour?

Play an hour, go to the gym. Play an hour, pay some bills. Play an hour, call a friend. Play an hour, go meet a date, or whatever.

Alot of success in life is knowing who we are and what suits us.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Generally you have to lose a lot of money before you realize how important it is to focus.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did I somehow give you the impression that I thought focus was unimportant? Do people normally come here asking for help on things that are irrelevant?
Old 08-07-2005, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're not a pro and you're talking about on-line play, why play more than an hour?

Play an hour, go to the gym. Play an hour, pay some bills. Play an hour, call a friend. Play an hour, go meet a date, or whatever.

Alot of success in life is knowing who we are and what suits us.

[/ QUOTE ]

I want to be able to sit down for three or four hours a couple times a week and play solid poker. I don't think that's all that much to ask of myself.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:07 PM

Work on building poker stamina. It involves noticing when you're starting to leak and paying attention to how long you've played. I personally find that I'm a better player if I play mockingbird's method...sitting there for 5 hours on my computer just isn't possible for someone as antsy as myself. It's about recognizing when you're not interested in the game anymore...when you're slipping. Get a cup of coffee, have a smoke, whatever...just refocus and sit back down. Hope this helps.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:00 PM

i dont know how much this would help or if you should do this, (as well you should consult a doctor before doing this) but i read in paul phillips poker blog that he takes medication (aderall,modafinil)becasue he has adhd to help him concentrate and it works wonders for him
(i dont take these nor do i really have a prob focusing nor am i saying you should take these just trying to help with ur focusing problem)
"I can say is that adderall and modafinil have improved my life, and if you think the same might be true for you then I suggest consulting a physician." paul phillips
Old 08-07-2005, 04:11 PM

It's one of the reasons why I play only SNGS when I play online. In B&M rooms I can maintain focus it's impossible for me to do online.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I want to be able to sit down for three or four hours a couple times a week and play solid poker. I don't think that's all that much to ask of myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

it kind of is considering that you cant do it. focussing in poker is kind of a "just do it" type of thing. noone is going to teach you how to focus.

i also find it rude how you responded to snowball's post. i feel that his post is not only witty, but helpful as it indirectly gets an important point across.