Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2005, 12:47 AM

Default Another Step 5 Hand

Second hand of tourney, first hand was a dud. I get dealt KK on the button and raise to 100. BB calls. Flop comes 878 rainbow. BB goes all-in. Is this a must call?
Old 08-07-2005, 12:56 AM

Default Re: Another Step 5 Hand

This is tough. Are you raising to 100 after a few limpers? If so, did the limpers fold? Because you open-raising 100 on the first level with KK is just bad...

Anyway, if there were limpers with you, and BB is pushing into them as well, this is an easy fold. Else, this is an somewhat easy fold as well, unless you have a specific read.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Second hand of tourney, first hand was a dud. I get dealt KK on the button and raise to 100. BB calls. Flop comes 878 rainbow. BB goes all-in. Is this a must call?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes
Old 08-07-2005, 01:03 AM

Could you give more details on this hand?
Old 08-07-2005, 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Could you give more details on this hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

First hand was an early raise, all folds, so stack are all 1000 for all intents and purposes. Blinds were still on Level 1 obviously, and there weren't any limpers. In this position I raise to 100, if I take the blinds so be it, and anyone in the BB calling the extra 85 can't have total garbage. Also, by raising 100, sometimes BB will read this as a typical button steal and come over the top on a resteal. Never seen this BB player before. He just called the 100 and then went all-in on flop.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:21 AM

But I don't get it at all... why not raise standard on the button, like T50? T100 seems like a massive overraise with a hand that WANTS a call.

If this were a $22 or a $33, this would be an autocall on the flop. But it being a Step 5, you'd expect villain to have an 8 a large % of the time. I think...
Old 08-07-2005, 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But I don't get it at all... why not raise standard on the button, like T50? T100 seems like a massive overraise with a hand that WANTS a call.

If this were a $22 or a $33, this would be an autocall on the flop. But it being a Step 5, you'd expect villain to have an 8 a large % of the time. I think...

[/ QUOTE ]

What hand do you call a preflop big raise like that with an 8. A8s and 88 seem the only likely suspects that fit the bill?
Old 08-07-2005, 01:49 AM

I think villian might do this with QQ-AA.
Old 08-07-2005, 03:12 AM

This may just be me, but- why on earth would he go all in with an 8? I just dont see any way that he has an 8. My guess would be JJ, QQ, or maybe even tens or something. I would instantly call this= seems like the perfect situation to double up.

-Jess
Old 08-07-2005, 09:09 AM

Its seems to fit with how luck has been going that I'd get KK on the button and the BB would get AA, but I don't think I can put him on this at all. AA is basically the only hand that makes real sense with a push here (not how I would play it, unless I was sure my opponent had TT-KK and would call). I have seen people play any PP this way since they can open up my range of hands to pretty much any two since I could have been attempting to steal the pot preflop. Also, in this spot I lay down AK-AJ, and most likely TT-QQ. Since I find it too slim to put him on AA or an 8, I think I have to call here.