Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2005, 06:43 PM

Default Holding on to AQ too long?

the limp 3bet from utg looks like a slow played monster. Should I just call the flop and turn or do we like a raise? Big pot so I can't fold the turn can I?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (8.25 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (10.25 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 11.25 BB
Old 08-06-2005, 06:48 PM

Default Re: Holding on to AQ too long?

Why would you raise the flop?
Old 08-06-2005, 06:50 PM

What kind of player is UTG?

I think the flop raise is useless against most players. For one, UTG will 3-bet you with his better hands, perhaps even AK. Also, you're drawing to a hand that MP3 probably cannot beat. If you knock out 88 or whatever MP3 holds, you don't buy yourself outs unless you are prepared to call down UTG with AQ UI (and if you are, you should raise the turn).

I'd much rather call the flop, call the turn, and fold the river UI. Given preflop, a turn raise is not a great idea.
Old 08-06-2005, 06:52 PM

I like the raise here on the flop. You have 10 and a half outs. 6 outs with the A and Q, 4 outs to the wheel, and 1.5 outs to backdoor flush. It looks like youre beat here though, his reraise either means he could have AK, or an overpair to the board, in which both cases you lose. I would have folded here too.
Old 08-06-2005, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think his raise here on the flop is good because he is protecting his hand and making MP3 call 2 bets cold.

Not good here???
Old 08-06-2005, 06:59 PM

he is not protecting his hands because he is not ahead. furthermore, he does not have outs to protect because none of them are clean.
Old 08-06-2005, 07:03 PM

To be protecting his hand he needs to have the best hand a good portion of the time...and the only opponent left has to have what that he's protecting against? If you said the LRR opponent was a total idiot or maniac then sure...I'll raise for value. But you're not protecting xxxx here.
Old 08-06-2005, 07:06 PM

Without a read I am probably folding the turn. There are som many hands you are behind at this point.

At your best you have 6 outs against a pocket pair. But I think you need to discount for the possbility of AK and the possibility of being hoplessly smoked already.

Against a LAG type player , I would do it different. But aginst an unknown I don't see the point.
Old 08-06-2005, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya this is the biggest problem I have with the way I played my hand. I agree it didn't protect sh1t and my outs are all tainted. Just wanted to reaffirm the horrible flop play.

I think call, call, fold should have been my play.
Old 08-06-2005, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think call, call, fold should have been my play.

[/ QUOTE ]
A read here would be a huge help because against a really LAGGY opponent calling to the river with AQ and folding for 1BB would be a mistake.

Against a more passive opponent you're against AA/KK here a lot and should probably call the flop and fold the turn.