Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2003, 01:13 AM

Default Micro PL hand - KQ off?

I feel I played this hand horribly here, it has to do with lack of pot limit experience, and being dealt hand after hand of junk - I think I wanted to play the first hint of anything.

My big blind - I get KQ off - Early position raises it to 5 times the big blind , 5 others limp (forgive me for being sketchy on details, it was a couple of days ago) and I call. At this point I haven't taken much notice of what type of player the raiser was.

Flop K J x - I bet 2/3rds of the pot, raiser calls. Turn is a blank. We are now heads up. I am worried, and make the same size bet here, he raises enough to put me all-in, if I call all-in, it is about 2.5 the size of the bet I made on the turn. I call.

Have I lost all my chips here? Should I have mucked preflop? Should I have lead out on flop and the turn after the call? Should I have called the final raise?

Comments greatly appreciated.
Old 03-16-2003, 10:58 AM

Default Re: Micro PL hand - KQ off?

I fold here preflop. A 5xBB raise from ep is an indication of strength, and you hold a piece of cheese. It's a dominated hand and if a bet and a prayer don't take it down on the flop, you still don't know where you are on the turn (as you found out).

The only thing I think you have working for you to draw with this hand is that you can check and the ep raiser's flop bet will go through the field before it gets back to you. And even then you're looking to flop a straight draw rather than flop a pair. So basically you're looking to flop a straight or a straight draw...probably not good enough to call. With K-Q suited I might have called preflop if the stacks were deep enough and I thought I could get away from one pair.

Just my opinion.

-L
Old 03-16-2003, 08:42 PM

That was my thinking, I should never have been there. He showed A A btw.

Thanks for reply.
Old 03-17-2003, 11:00 PM

Five callers? When do we play? lol. I think calling here depends on a number of factors as alluded to by prior poster. If everyone is deep ( or the raiser) then i think a call preflop is ok with the understanding that you really have to hit this hand hard to play it after the flop. I would never lead into five players especially after an early position player raised preflop. I too would prefer it to be suited. But this is a trouble hand and i suspected you were behind the whole way and stepped on a land mine. Did you know the player who raised preflop? I think you are going to lose alot of money if you cannot fold top pair. Check the flop and fold if there is substantial action here and your bankroll will appreciate it. Lucky that with 5 handed you were not beat in several places, but alas only one place was needed.
Old 03-19-2003, 06:28 AM

Where did I play? I was playing for very small stakes - I'll spend my buy in on a better hand next time.