Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2005, 01:59 PM

Default Shorthanded live STT strategy adjustments?

So, as part of a PokerBlue promotion, I'm going to be playing in what appears to be a five-person single-table tournament the night before the WPT Legends event starts. It's a freeroll for winners of the WPT promo freerolls (lotsa freerolling going on), and nothing has been published about the structure other than that they're taking a page out of Full Tilt's book -- if you win the STT and then win the WPT event, they'll add another million dollars to the prize.

Given the odds of that happening for any of the players in the STT, I think it's fair to say that the STT appears to be essentially meaningless (unless there're other prizes they're not publicizing). So, effectively, my only incentive is to not look like a fool on Live at the Bike, which is incentive enough IMO [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I play a lot of cheap online STTs, and my typical strategy is to stay fairly tight while the blinds are low to feel out my opponents and to set up my table image. I've never played a short-handed SnG -- can that strategy carry over, or do you have to rachet up the aggression from the get-go just to avoid being run over even when the blinds are small? I realize that the answer must be partially based on the structure, which I don't have.

Anyone have any general advice for the opening rounds of a shorthanded STT? I figure by the time we get to the middle and later rounds, it'll play just like a full-table STT with a couple of players knocked out.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:14 PM

Default Re: Shorthanded live STT strategy adjustments?

Under the circumstances, all you really want to do is avoid making a bad fold or a bad call.

If you make a bad raise, you can't really look that bad... and you can still suck out and win the meaningless tournament.

So I would suggest that you raise every chance you get, right from the very beginning.

Irieguy