Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2003, 08:16 PM

Default % of flops seen

Whats a good number of flops to see in a 10 handed game of hold'em? For instance 1/2 on Paradise. In a loose game? Tight game?
Old 03-15-2003, 09:16 PM

Default Re: % of flops seen

I believe I am looser than most posters here so take that into consideration. In Paradise 2/4 games I am usually between 27-32% flops seen. I have played some 5/10 lately and my flop % is between 18-23%. THe difference is attributable to all the hands I have to discard now due to pre-flop raises which are much more prevalent in the 5/10 game.

In games where there are a lot of limpers and few raisers you can play more hands.
Old 03-15-2003, 09:32 PM

I play 2/4 at PP, and my flop %'s are pretty much identical to davidross's at 5/10, which is about 18%-23%.
Old 03-16-2003, 01:46 AM

Mason says 15% is right in Poker Essays II, for a typical
game. In good a loose/passive game I open up to about 18-22%. One other thing to consider is that you can play a bit looser in time charge games than rake games.
Old 03-17-2003, 02:50 AM

play as many hands as you think you can play profitably in that game and situation. If you can't do that, don't play. If it's semi-tough 15-20% when not on the blinds, add all pairs and decent suited connectors and suited aces if it's a loose-passive game. There are some extra hands that can sometimes but regularly be played in good situations, while there are all the time situations where good hands need to be folded. But what makes the most difference is how you play in certain tables after the flop; if you don't know, don't play - the correct strategy depends about how your opponents play there. The preflop strategy is actually pretty useless in many games and situations: if there wouldn't be the live blinds, just blinds, one could often play (isolation call/raise) 72o profitably from late position.
Old 03-17-2003, 03:00 AM

I find that most of the time I am playing about 20% of the flops, but, your aggressiveness, and your ability to accurately put players on hands, might allow you play more. You also have to take into account the looseness and aggressiveness of your opponents. I think that if every hand was played 8 ways for 1 bet, you would be making a mistake if you only played 20% of the hands. In most games, I would try and play tighter than most of my opponents, and also at least one notch more aggressive than they are.
Old 03-17-2003, 10:03 AM

My flop percentage over my last ~50 hours of play at 2/4 and 3/6 is 23.5%. At 5/10 and 10/20, it is only 15%.

-- Homer
Old 03-17-2003, 10:14 AM

It's important to remember that the 15% is voluntarily putting money in, not flops seen. If you get a free play each time around in the BB your Paradise number will go up to 25%. Free plays will still show up in the online stats.
Old 03-17-2003, 12:36 PM

I play 1/2 at PP and I play around 30% and I normally win at these tables (maybe 3-4BB/h). I think that a common problem for players att 1/2 is playing bad postflop. They call with any draw - also inside straights - and they call with their top pair (dont raise enough). Because of this you dont have to be so afraid of a raise if you are on a draw, and you will get many callers when you raise with your toppair.

Also the whole table can suddenly be very passive and you can do a lot of stealing. You raise preflop and steal blinds (or get headsup with a hand like A7o), and bet flop/turn with nothing and win the pot. To steal you dont have to have a great hand (hehe).

If you dont think that you are better then the other players postflop, you have to play less hands.
Old 03-18-2003, 01:17 PM

At loose passive games, I see around 25%-27% of flops over the long run when I'm playing well.