Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2005, 11:30 AM

Default A hand

Table has been a little irritated with me. MP limps, he's pretty weak and very passive preflop. I raise on the button with QhJdo. BB defends, he hasn't won a hand against me all night and is hot.

The flop is Qs 4s 3h. BB bets, MP raises, I call, BB calls.

The turn is the 4d. BB checks, MP bets, I raise, BB folds, MP calls.

The river is the 7h. MP checks, I bet.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:39 AM

Default Re: A hand

please explain why you didn't 3-bet the flop.
Old 08-06-2005, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
please explain why you didn't 3-bet the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I figured that with BB leading out on that board, he either had one of 3 things: A weak pocket pocket pair, a huge hand (AQ or better) or a flush draw. Waiting til the turn to raise allows me to collect an extra bet from the flush draw, and just calling allows me to collect an extra bet on the flop from the nearly-dead drawing smaller pair. And if he keeps raising, I know that he's got a monster.
Old 08-06-2005, 05:03 PM

You took the lead pre flop and then there is a bet and a raise into you. What is the passive MP's range here?

I fold here very often. MP would have to have a very wide range of calling hands including a lot of weak Qxo / Qxs hands for me to continue with the hand.
Old 08-06-2005, 05:34 PM

I think that the fact you describe Mp as passive means he's probably got a better hand than you when he raised. I think if you were going to raise the turn to get the draws out then u should have checked the river.
Old 08-06-2005, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
MP limps, he's pretty weak and very passive preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd check behind on the river, unless he suddenly give action after the flop, which is atypical.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:03 AM

Default Results

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
MP limps, he's pretty weak and very passive preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd check behind on the river, unless he suddenly give action after the flop, which is atypical.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was more aggressive postflop than preflop, which is why I mentioned his preflop passivity foremost.

I thought about checking behind, but he looked like there was just no way in the world he thought he was good, and I had been aggressive enough earlier in the session that he wouldn't have looked that dejected with TPTK.

Anyways, I bet the river, he called and mucked when he saw my hand. I thought the coldcall on the flop in order to get more information (as I mentioned in my earlier follow-up) and then using that information to raise the turn was a somewhat unusual situation and wanted to see what others thought. Thanks for the comments.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:49 AM

Default Re: Results

what info do u get with a call on the flop? isnt the guy in the blinds gonna 3 bet tihe the flsh draw and a monster about as often as they dont pump their draw or slowroll the monster?
Old 08-07-2005, 08:32 PM

interesting...what is passive MP's range when he raises the flop? and how loose preflop? Qxs or Q9o type loose?

pretty dry board.

-Barron
Old 08-07-2005, 09:41 PM

I don't understand how you can read MP the way you do and play the hand the way you did. You make an isolation raise because he is "weak". I assume this means he will laydown good hands that miss the flop and you can win unimproved often. Fine. But now he doesn't lay down, and you value bet him in a spot where he MUST have a better hand than you, given your justification of your pf raise.

You played the hand badly. Either you shouldn't have raised pf, or you should have checked the river.

Good luck.
Eric