Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2005, 11:27 AM

Default Need some advice....AKo in SB against agresive lose player

Critic my Donkey play please.

Sorry I do not have the hand history with me so I have to do this by memory. Ring game stars $1-2. I started with $80 currently have $350+. In SB with AKo with 4 callers and BB yet to act. I raise it to $12 and get 3 callers ($40 in pot). Flop is A-8-2 rainbow. I check UTG (who has about $180) raises it to $20, I re-raise to $40 and everyone else folds except UTG who calls (I put him on AT-AQ, with a possible pockets 88 and with a remote possible A-8-QQ-KK but those hands did not feel right). $120 in pot. Turn is a 2d putting two diamonds on board. I check again, UTG bets $20 I re-raise to $40 again, UTG calls. $200 in pot. River is a 10c. Again I check and he bets $60. What would you do…. Board Ah-8d-2c-2d-10c : pot has $260

FYI- I do not normally play this way but I was not getting a lot of action post flop so I decided to trap…. now with Bad Guys last bet I felt I had trapped myself…..would you call, raise or fold?

I believe I should have re-raised the pot on the turn instead of the dumb mini-re-raise considering my flop play and his call but want advice. BTW I made a crying call and he turned over A-10o.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:41 AM

Default Re: Need some advice....AKo in SB against agresive lose player

Wow, that hand really hurts my eyes and brain. Sorry I can't add anything constructive.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:41 AM

your getting 4-1 on the river, so I think you have to call there.

As for the rest of the hand...

You should lead out on this flop. You raised preflop, you hit the flop, so bet it. Also your flop checkraise was too small. there is 60 in the pot after his bet, so you should be making it 60-75 total.

The turn play is just gross in my opinion. You need to bet here. Also your check raise is even worse this time. There is 140 in the pot after his bet, and you make it 40? Push here instead. He only has 100 left, and could very well call with a worse hand.

sorry if it was a little harsh
Old 08-05-2005, 11:47 AM

No not harsh just the truth. Again I hated the way I played this hand from flop on down. I felt my call on the river with the odds was OK but was not sure....but the rest was just dumb and I paid for it.

So you believe a push and not a pot sized raise on the turn??
Old 08-05-2005, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
that hand really hurts my eyes and brain

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

OP - It makes it easier with spacing and also stack sizes on each street, rather than us trying to work it out. Just my 2c.

I don't like the minraising unless it's for a specific reason, it comes off a bit fishy in this hand.
I'm not sure but you may think you're trapping him, whereas you're really trapping yourself by not raising more on the turn or leading out on the flop. Either try to keep the pot small with TPTK (you have 175BB so no need to go broke here) or make a weaker ace pay as much as you think they're willing to.
Personally I lead the flop, bet the turn and prob check the river, unless villain is raising the turn then I'll have to change plan.

If you raise this preflop, and put your opponent on a weaker ace, then make him pay for it - this is exactly the hand you want to be up against, just a pity the river was a ten.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:35 PM

I kinda liked the play. It may have a little FSP but you gave the villain no chance to get off a losing han but I lead the end for 3/4 of his stack. By the end of the hand, he'll just want to check down without two-pair or better but he'll feel pot committed to call the last bet. If he hit his three-outer oh well.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:23 PM

--limp preflop. Play a good hand well disguised for cheap OOP.

--don't c/r with only one pair.

--After your PFR, lead the flop.

--As played, after you check the flop, just call. C/c the turn also, you are WA/WB. Lead the river with a blocking/value bet.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

So you believe a push and not a pot sized raise on the turn??

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't a pot sized raise on the turn put him all-in?