Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2005, 02:26 AM

Default Poker Tracker at 30/60 6max

I have friends that have started to play 30/60 6max and do not believe that poker tracker is useful for them at all because the games vary so much from being 6-2 players which varies their play a lot. I'm used to griding out the low limit full tables and find it very useful. They will not listen to me because I don't play high stakes nor do I play SH. Please help me convince them that they should be using Poker Tracker or please convince me that they don't need it. AKA, what (if any) are the pros of using Poker Tracker at this level.
Old 08-05-2005, 04:13 AM

Default Re: Poker Tracker at 30/60 6max

why waste time trying to convince them of anything.

Sounds like they have alot more experience than you and you should do the listening.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:16 AM

The reason is because they are young (possibly rash) kids that I want to see do well. I don't want to see them crash and burn and get into trouble. They have only been playing for about a year but have done very well. As far as actual playing poker is concerned I definitely have nothing to teach them, but when it comes to bankroll/varience/discipline/etc. I possibly do. Again, I could easily be the one that is wrong here because I have never played those limits, but I know that it's very important in full games at lower limits so I was assuming that they should be using it also. Thanks for the response.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:25 AM

To my knowledge, virtually all the high stake pros here use pockertracker. If nothing else, you really need it to track your own play and results. I guess if you have a big ego you may not feel the need to do this.

Also, I am aware of some very good players who do not use PT statistics whilst playing (i.e. do not use GT/PV etc.). You can make much better reads of players by observation than any statistics, and this may be something your friends are doing correctly.

However, if you are massivily multitabling, you really need to fall back on statistics alot, whatever your stakes, because it becomes difficult to observe.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
To my knowledge, virtually all the high stake pros here use pockertracker. If nothing else, you really need it to track your own play and results. I guess if you have a big ego you may not feel the need to do this.

Also, I am aware of some very good players who do not use PT statistics whilst playing (i.e. do not use GT/PV etc.). You can make much better reads of players by observation than any statistics, and this may be something your friends are doing correctly.

However, if you are massivily multitabling, you really need to fall back on statistics alot, whatever your stakes, because it becomes difficult to observe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, some dont use it while playing because it cripples their reads.

But not having Pokertracker? It makes no sense. Its like saying I dont need to read any books, I already know how to play. Well, how do u know, u havent read them?

A really good pokerplayer always want to know more, poker is a game about information, there is no way around this.

I had a friend who won $80K first 6 months he played and then ended dropping 800BB at 30/60 and lost more then half of what he had won before he dropped down. Last 6 months he is breakeven.

If they havent started to use PT playing 1 year and playing at 30/60 they will not start until they run into some nasty downswings. There is nothing u can do or say that will change this. When u win constantly u suddenly starts to think u know how this game works. Its just the way the brain works for most of us. Their true value as pokerplayers will be shown when they run into those heavy downswings. Will they start to work on their game or will they be convinced its only a statistical error that got nothing to do with their own game?
Old 08-05-2005, 09:50 AM

Do they understand the need to track their sessions/results for tax purposes? PT is easily worth 1 BB for that even if it never helps your actual play.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:59 AM

Thanks for the resonses. I don't know what to say about the tax thing. They say they track their cashouts which I'm pretty sure isn't enough (unless it's different if you file professionally). When I tried to talk to them about it they said they have it under control and wouldn't discuss it any further as they were already upset since I was trying to convince them of something they didn't want to do. They say that none of the pros playing high stakes that they know use it. I understand how you can get a better ready by paying close attention and they're only playing 1 table so they can do that. It just seems like they could better analyze their play if they used it but they say it doesn't help. Oh well, I guess all I can do is wait and see. Again, thanks for the responses.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:17 AM

I read an interesting tidbit about taxes on here (2+2), but can't remember where. For tax purposes, you don't need to report foreign income until its repatriated to the US. So if you're working in Germany, getting paid into a German bank, etc, you don't need to report until the money enters the US system somewhere.

Apparently there's a strong argument to be made for parallels with poker. Its foreign income, and doesn't need to be reported until it enters the US system (where is NETeller based?). Whether or not this is a good enough similarity, legally, is as of yet undecided. The issue hasn't been brought before a court yet.