Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2005, 05:30 PM

Default AQo in the blinds vs super lag

the check from the blind was an accident from 4-tabling (thought i had Q4, which was actually a diff table)

LAG just capped beting against me on the turn when i had capped betting PF with an ace on board and he only had kings and i had AQs (which turned into a boat). his hands are usually not that good as his vpip is in the 50s and PFR in the 17s.

standard?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (3 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, SB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (2.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.50 BB
Old 08-04-2005, 05:39 PM

Default Re: AQo in the blinds vs super lag

I think we can find a fold on this flop because:
1. The pot is really small..
2. The flop has two middle range cards, increasing the probability that we're behind.
3. The flop is kinda drawy, so even if we are ahead/hit, he might draw out on us, which decreases the implied odds we're getting by a lot!

So fold, move on and hit him from a better position later.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think we can find a fold on this flop because:
1. The pot is really small..
2. The flop has two middle range cards, increasing the probability that we're behind.
3. The flop is kinda drawy, so even if we are ahead/hit, he might draw out on us, which decreases the implied odds we're getting by a lot!

So fold, move on and hit him from a better position later.

[/ QUOTE ]

reasons for staying in on this flop:

1) as said, villain is super lag. betting out at signs of weakness AND aggression, often with crap, rarely with a real hand.

2) two overcards

3) the backdoor nut flush and nut straight

4) I have the ace of diamonds, which if paired, will not put the 3 flush out there.

5) super duper lag.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:44 PM

If you think you have the best hand, bet/calling is probably better than check/calling. If you would fold if BB would call, then check/(calling or folding depending on BB) has some merits.

But remember, in small pots we (the better players) make money when our opponents make bad calls. If you're behind, this is a bad call even if all your outs are clean.

But yes, if you're certain that this opponent will bet the whole hand with the nut low, then this play (except the turn bet) will be +EV. But if he might check behind on the river UI, your win is gone...
Old 08-04-2005, 05:40 PM

grunchcan says betting the flop is goot here for fold equity reasons. i'm weak so i fold the flop.

had i raised pf i bet the flop.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

grunchcan says betting the flop is goot here for fold equity reasons. i'm weak so i fold the flop.

had i raised pf i bet the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would think you would be less inclined to bet against a maniac. He's probably not folding, and probably raising with a wide variety of worse hands.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:42 PM

You know CO is going to raise you on the turn, based on your read, so the only reason for betting out there is if you're going to 3-bet. Otherwise you're just spewing chips.

I raise preflop, checkraise the flop (if you've ever seen him fold the flop), and call down the rest of the way unless my hand gets paired.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You know CO is going to raise you on the turn, based on your read, so the only reason for betting out there is if you're going to 3-bet. Otherwise you're just spewing chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. So are you check/calling from here or would you do the 3-bet? What do yout hink is best vs our villain here?
Old 08-04-2005, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the check from the blind was an accident from 4-tabling (thought i had Q4, which was actually a diff table)

LAG just capped beting against me on the turn when i had capped betting PF with an ace on board and he only had kings and i had AQs (which turned into a boat). his hands are usually not that good as his vpip is in the 50s and PFR in the 17s.

standard?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (3 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, SB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (2.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.50 BB

[/ QUOTE ]

- grunching -

1.) raise preflop

2.) If it you had raised the flop would be an easy bet. Since you did not the pot is very small and the board is fairly coordinated. When he bets on the flop you are only getting 4-1. You have MAYBE 4-5 outs, discounting for the Ah and Kh and tacking on the .5 for the awkward BDSD. With those outs you need 8.4-10.8 to 1 on this flop to continue. Even with implied odds you are not getting anywhere NEAR this. Notice that if you had raised you would have correct odds.

3.) Against a serious LAG, this bet is alright. If he was flop betting for no reason he might give you credit for the J, or maybe slow down with a draw and let your AQ high win a cheap showdown. But, he raised. Again, the pot is still pretty small and you are left with only your overcard outs, reduced in value not only because of the flush draw possibility but now a paired board. I think this is a clear fold getting only 5 to 1.

4.) Pot is still small on the river. I fold
Old 08-04-2005, 06:17 PM

If you are convinced you're ahead just check call him down.

Really though the pot is 3SB. Let him have it.

You're pretty much guaranteed to have a better shot at him.