Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2005, 01:28 PM

Default On the subject of ICM: What do you call a push with?

I expect to get different answers here, but hopefully there will be some good discussion. Around the bubble, what do you call a push with? Do you gamble sometimes when you put his push with any two cards and call the push when you hold live cards?

Or do you auto-pilot and only call a push with top hands as to not take a risk if he is pushing with any two?

Here's how I have been playing lately in general. If it's heads up and Ive been pushed into fairly consistently by the same player and I have any pair, two high cards, suited high connector, or an Ax I'll call if I have the lead of 3-1 in chip count. I feel like I risk alot here, but again I play like this if he has been consistently pushing into me therefore making me feel like he will be pushing any two cards into me.

What if Im 1-3 in chip count from a big stack's push? I usually tighten up and only play the pairs, a high Ax, and KQ,KJ. On the flip side, if Im around 5x the BB I will push any two into a blind that has me 3x covered.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:38 PM

Default Re: On the subject of ICM: What do you call a push with?

Before this gets any responses, you'll need to give crystal clear stack sizes, position and players tendencies, otherwise whatever information you gather will just be too general to serve you any purpose. Its likely what one poster says will be what has served him well (for better or worse) on his heater or cooler recently, etc.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:41 PM

You're right, this question is too broad. I was just hoping to spark some conversation as Ive been having trouble with this lately. Damn, you always set me straight, Maulik.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:53 PM

Good. Just start posting some bubble play with as much information as possible or specific hands. If you do post bubble hands, make sure you post the tournament summaries so we can utilise the replayer.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:21 PM

This is a very good subject. I think I'm getting a good handle on when to push, but when to call is a whole 'nother ballgame. I think I'm probably a bit too tight with calls, but don't have a good feel for how loose I should be.