Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2005, 03:56 AM

Default 10/20 6max: a passive line - 88

I hate how I played this hand.

No reads on villain. UTG is 50/22/.7 over 130 hands.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.75 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls.

River: (8.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 9.75 BB
Old 08-04-2005, 04:00 AM

Default Re: 10/20 6max: a passive line - 88

I would bet the flop to take the initiative and give button a chance to raise AK/AJ or whatever. One other nice thing about betting is it can prevent you from folding the best hand if PFR bets and utg raises something like A6/A7 etc. He's a lot less likely to raise those after PFR calls your flop bet.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:07 AM

I think a lead bet is in order. I don't know from there, I hate hands like these.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:39 AM

I'd probably check-raise the flop and lead the turn...

comments?

Steve Griff
Old 08-04-2005, 06:01 AM

Capping this preflop with a guy like UTG in a pot like this wouldn't be a mistake and would give you a better image postflop towards other opponents to see how they play back at you. They define themselves more clearly in their response to your supposed 'monster' preflop. In general they tend to play more straightforward. my two cents,
Old 08-04-2005, 11:13 AM

I considered checkraising the flop, but decided to wait and see what the turn would bring.

I really didn't like the turn card at all, but I'm HU against the pfr now so I decided to see the river, AK and AT both are behind me still and the pots decent-sized.

The river card was abysmal, as now virtually every hand in his 3betting range is ahead of me, so I folded.

Surf
Old 08-04-2005, 06:16 PM

I don't really see why checkraising the flop would be a good idea. it doesn't knock any players out, and i don't think its a good value raise given the 3 bet preflop. Only way I could see it being useful is for information's sake (which in this case i think is a weak play because a call or cap won't really tell you much imo). I guess you can also use it if you want AK AJ to fold on the turn to a lead out bet I think that's unlikely given the potsize, since on the turn the AK AJ holder may catch a straight draw, pair, or flushdraw along with his two overcards.

I think if I were in that hand I would bet preflop, hope the capper raises to fold the UTG. I would probably fold the turn because the third heart creates a potential flush or flush draw, the jack creates a potential straight draw, and the jack also creates an additional overcard to worry about.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:29 PM

I'd be tempted to donk bet this flop with the assumption that PFR would isoraise and play it from there. check/call isn't bad though so you can see a cheap turn and reevaluate.

When that turn card hits, and PFR bets again into 2 players, I have a hard time believing he's bluffing on this scare board. I'd muck it without too much regret.

The way you played it, river fold is good.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:33 PM

Hmmm. Bet the flop I say. Yhe board is draw laden and nails a lot of gay UTG hands (draw wise). of course the clown will likely call two if he hit in any way, bit thats his problem.

you should fold this turn almost always.