Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2005, 10:06 AM

Default Flop a set. Line check. Party $22.

After reviewing this hand, I really feel like I butchered it in so many ways.

My thoughts:
1) Preflop-Table had been pretty tight, so I thought there was a pretty good shot I could take the blinds here. Plus this raise is just about right for SB to try and re-steal with a push (he would be giving me ~1.75:1 if it gets folded to him and he pushes). This same thought goes for the button as well.
2) Flop-Sweet. I think the best way to get all in here is to bet out and hope that he has a K and comes over the top.
3) Turn-Hmm, he just called the flop bet. At the time, I felt that this meant he really liked his hand, so I was trying for a turn C/R here hoping he has AK, KQ, or KJ. Didn't work.
4) River-Finally got all it, but don't feel quite as good about it at this point.

How's my line? Where do you differ? How's my thought process?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (5 handed) converter

BB (t1900)
Hero (t1545)
MP (t3230)
Button (t705)
SB (t620)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t150</font>, MP calls t150, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>.

Flop: (t375) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t150</font>, MP calls t150.

Turn: (t675) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP checks.

River: (t675) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t300</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to t600</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1245 (All-In)</font>, MP calls t645.

Final Pot: t3165
Old 08-03-2005, 10:11 AM

Default Re: Flop a set. Line check. Party $22.

I can't think of all that many hands that he would check on the turn with...

Anyways, the flop bet is fine, a little larger would be alright.

I can see your reasoning for the check-raise, but you have to determine for sure whether or not villain is on a drawing hand. You don't want to give drawing hands that will call a bet free cards.

The river, I don't know what villain has...some donkish hand? 99? Anyways, your line isn't all that bad, but it would've been better had you put villain on a hand.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:14 AM

I did something similar yesterday. Ended up letting him fill a straight for free, and went broke. Oops.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:18 AM

Do you still like the line?
Old 08-03-2005, 10:20 AM

Yeah. Mine was more donkish. Something like Q T x (I had TT) and turn was an A. Why I didn't get it all in then I don't know. I checked hoping he had AQ but he didn't so checked behind, and the river was a J. Doh! He of course had KQ.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:21 AM

Preflop: Fine.

Flop: I bet a tiny bit more, a K or a J will call more than that.

Turn: Fine.

River: Lead - Fine. I don't like pushing over the top of his raise. Either he has garbage or a hand that beats yours. Just call.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but it would've been better had you put villain on a hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, my original post wasn't that clear about this, but I really felt that villain's most likely holding was some kind of K. And probably a decent one like KQ or KJ given his preflop call. I really didn't see him on a draw on this board.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Sorry, my original post wasn't that clear about this, but I really felt that villain's most likely holding was some kind of K. And probably a decent one like KQ or KJ given his preflop call. I really didn't see him on a draw on this board.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then why isn't he betting the turn when checked to?

If you really don't think he's on a draw you can raise the river of course.

Edit: no you can't, he has a slowplayed bigger set a lot too. I just don't see a hand like KQ or AK miniraising river after checking turn, it doesn't compute. The only hand that you beat that isn't making a move on you on the river is KJ.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:25 AM

I say go ahead and keep leading on the turn, he seems to like something about his hand...So I got to know now, did he hit a straight with Q10 or did you win the pot and just felt bad about the way you gave a free card?
Old 08-03-2005, 10:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then why isn't he betting the turn when checked to?

[/ QUOTE ]

A fair point. I guess a weakish K (KT), or some kind of J might check behind on the turn. If not this, then he is probalby on a draw, but I still didn't see that as strong possibilty when I was playing the hand. Probably a lapse in thinking there.

I think I just got too happy that I had a set and decided to get all in almost regardless of the action. Not smart.