Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2003, 05:37 PM

Default Am I a Moron?

I'm about half way through a limit Tournament and just moved to a new table. We played 5 hands and each hand was folded all the way to the blinds (Apparently Tight). I am short stacked and can afford to play only 1 hand. In mid position I finally get JJ. First player raises, third player reraises forth player limps in. Should I have capped it or folded? What if it were QQ or TT or AK?

Well I folded thinking there were powerhouses in front of me because of the tight play previously. Player 1 had AK, Player 3 reraised with 8,3o (he ended up winning) and Player 4 had 10,Js. I would have won if I had stayed in. This happened a week ago and I am still kicking myself in the ass for folding.

I can use some honest blunt advice here. Thanks [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 03-12-2003, 06:16 PM

Default Re: Am I a Moron?

What were the blinds and approximate stack sizes?

Ken Poklitar
Old 03-12-2003, 06:50 PM

I have folded in similar situations. I don't know exactly what your idea of one hand left means, so I assume you have less than 10 times the big blind in your stack. In most cases you would be way behind here. Your only hope would be one player with AK and the other two players with underpairs, preferably the same underpair. This was just a crazy hand played poorly by all but the AK prior to you. I would fold unless I had only 3 or 4 times the big blind. You still would be better off waiting to be the bring-in raiser, and hoping to take the blinds, or double up against only one opponent.
Old 03-12-2003, 06:56 PM

They don't need to be powerhouses, all they need to have is an ace, king and queen between them and you're about a 7-3 underdog to win the pot, depending on what the hands are.

Compare that to getting frisky with a steal raise with 93 suited, getting put all-in preflop with a reraise by AK offsuit, where you are less than a 2-1 dog.

Only having to beat one player is a BIG motivator in selecting what hand your "last stand" is.

M.
Old 03-12-2003, 07:20 PM

The blinds were $500-$1000. I only had $4000 left. All the other players had large stacks (20k and above).

Thanks all for the feedback.
Old 03-12-2003, 07:50 PM

I would have definitely folded.
No way to have known there were two maniacs in the hand.
If not for the cold caller, i would have capped it and hoped for the best since you were 4x the BB.
Old 03-13-2003, 05:47 AM

Had a K flopped insted of the J, you would be thinking how great your fold was...

Don't be mad at yourself, it's a fold not everyone is capable of. Things got sour for you but how could you have knowed?

From www.twodimes.net (improvised suits)

As Kh 36.18%
3c 8d 12.30%
Js Ts 14.97%
Jc Jh 34.94%

more or less 1:2 odds is nothing to be exited about and that was the best situation you could be in considering the action before it got to you. more often then not, someone's in there whit an overpair.

-Happy [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 03-14-2003, 09:31 AM

In general I would fold but if you have enough $$$ to play one last hand you may as well throw it in here, even if against an over pair you still have a fair enough chance and with all the callers, your odds are not too bad and they give you a good chance to quint-up [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-14-2003, 06:11 PM

Sklansky says if there is a raise and a reraise before you, then it is a clear fold. I tend to agree. You have nothing to go on, in regards to the players at your new table, other then the fact that 5 hands in a row were folded to the blinds. I would fold in this particular situation every single time. It just happens that you had a decent hand and a maniac made you fold the best hand. Why kick yourself? You made the right play. There is luck in poker and you were unlucky due to circumstances not under your control.