Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2005, 11:30 PM

Default No Set But I Bet

I've thought a little bit about how those low pocket pairs don't necessarily have to hit a set to win, and I happened to come across three situations today that seemed to work out. I used to check/fold almost instantly without the set.

I've found most of the players on AP 1/2 to be weak-tight, but I think that could be because I'm a bit too aggressive (especially on the flop).

Absolute Poker 1/2 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, BB calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, MP1 folds, CO calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO folds.

Final Pot: 6.75 BB

<font color="#0000FF">I figured with the SB discount I was getting enough odds here pre-flop. I put the CO on whiffed overcards, although he could have a higher PP. So I raised to protect my hand... specifically anyone holding a 5, gutshots, and maybe even a 7?</font>

Absolute Poker 1/2 Hold'em (7 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button folds, BB folds.

Final Pot: 3.75 BB

<font color="#0000FF">This is a more coordinated flop than the first one, and I wouldn't have bet if I hadn't done a PFR. I almost always bet the flop after a PFR, so I play it like I have AK.</font>

Absolute Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (9 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, SB calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, SB calls.

River: (10.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP3 folds, SB folds.

Final Pot: 11.50 BB

<font color="#0000FF">Boy did I ever feel iffy betting the flop and turn. Looking back I don't like it at all with 4 other players - did I just get lucky?</font>

I am not confident at all with these situations but so far my adjustment has seemed to pay off.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:38 PM

Default Re: No Set But I Bet

Clever rhyme scheme--

It all depends on your players. If your playing at an ultra tight/passive game, you can bet a little more than usual with pockets if nobody shows aggression pre/post flop-- However, most small stakes players will call you down often, so you don't want to get used to pushing your middle pocket pairs.

If the game is soft, passive and tight-- you can bet it more confidently, but when the game is loose/aggressive, limp in for cheap and wait for those sets.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:40 PM

i think the first two hands are fine, even without reads. The last one i don't like myself, your asking for trouble.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:45 PM

Hand 1 i really like and would do the same with a read. I am folding to any furhter aggressiopn however.

Hand 2) Fine, you didnt want to open limp and you continuation bet on flop and won the pot.

Hand 3) I don't like this. You dont have position and a single bet hardly protects. Also the T may have hit the pf raiser, not as solid as hand 1 by far.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 3) I don't like this. You dont have position and a single bet hardly protects. Also the T may have hit the pf raiser, not as solid as hand 1 by far.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're absolutely right, my bet did practically nothing with that large pot. How would you play it? I felt like it was the best thing I could have done except for maybe check/fold.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:23 AM

I don't think you can often buy this pot in low limit (too many ppl), so for hand 3, its probably best check/fold.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think you can often buy this pot in low limit (too many ppl), so for hand 3, its probably best check/fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know the the players at PP 1/2 seem pretty straightforward and will usually allow someone to have the pot if they are showing aggression. This is strictly read based, however, I would bet this until someone played back at me. There is lack of position, however, it is not like any scare cards are falling and the worst thing that hurts you is someone with 87, which seems unlikely to have stayed in that long.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:42 AM

Hand 1: Gross.

The rest, fine. But I didn't really read them.

Good luck.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

<font color="#0000FF">Boy did I ever feel iffy betting the flop and turn. Looking back I don't like it at all with 4 other players - did I just get lucky?</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes
Same goes for hand 1
Old 08-03-2005, 10:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1: Gross.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Hand 1 is played fine. The way you played Hand 3, I'd check/call the river unless you know Villain will call UI overcards here.