Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2005, 02:58 PM

Default Think I\'m ahead, good line?

I had a frustrating session when this hand came up. I had been giving too many free cards and decided to stop doing that so much.

Villain is VPIP%/PFR/AF 15/4/12 over 200+ hands. I have only seen him show down blinds and QQ-AA,AK,AQ otherwise.

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $.25 BB (10 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="#C00000">Hero ($42.30)</font>
UTG ($9)
<font color="#C00000"><font color="#C00000">UTG+1 (Villain)</font> ($25)</font>
UTG+2 ($26.45)
MP1 ($27.45)
MP2 ($26.30)
MP3 ($17.20)
CO ($30.45)
Button ($10.55)
SB ($24.10)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333"> Villain raises to $0.85</font>, <font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, Hero calls $0.60.

Flop: ($1.80) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villain bets $1.8</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $7.2</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Villain raises to $23.4</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $28.8</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Villain calls all in $24.15</font>.

Turn: ($50.10) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: ($50.10)A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: $50.10

Preflop, even though the raise is small, I put him on a premium holding. He is in an earlier position and may plan to reraise, who knows. I know he is aggressive postflop.

Flop : Decide since he always continuation bets to go for c/r. My thinking is that I'm not sure what cards are going to hurt me and I want him to get committed with the worst of it, or end it right now. I'm thinking his principle holdings are AA, KK[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], QQ[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] or AK[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] after he reraises me. I don't see him raising preflop with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in an early position.

So, since I'm not sure if he's looking for (a) the board to pair or (b) a fourth spade, am I correct in trying to get all in on the flop?
Also, did I go about it the right way with the c/r given his postflop aggression?
Old 08-01-2005, 03:13 PM

Default Re: Think I\'m ahead, good line?

i hope you didnt lose to river quads
Old 08-01-2005, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i hope you didnt lose to river quads

[/ QUOTE ]

If he did lose to a rivered quads he should pat himself on the back.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:18 PM

Your check raise on the flop is a little too large for my liking, but after he 3-bets, you are definitely correct to get your money in.

If you lost to a river boat or a bigger flopped flush, so be it. nh
Old 08-01-2005, 03:27 PM

This better not be a bad beat post.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This better not be a bad beat post.

[/ QUOTE ]
No, I'm trying to figure out if my thinking is correct on the flop.
1) I think I'm ahead
2) I don't know what's going to hurt me
3) He is aggressive post flop
4) I c/r him and if he bites we get it all in

Please critique this line of thinking. Thanks.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No, I'm trying to figure out if my thinking is correct on the flop.
1) I think I'm ahead
2) I don't know what's going to hurt me
3) He is aggressive post flop
4) I c/r him and if he bites we get it all in

Please critique this line of thinking. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only one I really have an issue with is #4. You are giving him an opportunity to get away from his hand cheap with something like AhKh. With the villains stack size here, I like leading into an aggro opponent and then 3-betting him all-in.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:56 PM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.

The A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] is on the board. If you don't think he's raising w/ KQs, he doesn't have the flush. Getting the money in is obviously correct.

The c/r is fine if you're pretty sure he's gonna take a shot at it on the flop.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:58 PM

Default Re: Think I\'m ahead, good line? + result

Ok, so after thinking about it some more, I feel the correct thing to do is bet into him here. Since I've ruled out a better made flush, I would like to get the chips in the middle now, so my goal should be to figure out the best way to do it:

i bet pot, he raises pot, I push seems like the best line. Given that he did in fact re-raise my check-raise, he'd probably also have called my 3-bet all in.

He turned over A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] for the nut flush draw and TPTK which turned into a set on the river. In retrospect, he should have figured he was behind a made flush/set at this point and just called my reraise and seen what develops (or folded). Then I would have had trouble if the board paired, because I might have been deep enough to fold to "his boat". I think by checkraising I gave him the chance to (a) fold or (b) call and see the turn without being pot committed.

Next time, I'll lead into him on the flop and count on his aggressive nature to get me a chance to 3 bet all in. Thanks for the comments.