Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2005, 01:20 PM

Default Got sucked in with A6(sooted): What should I have done?

I'm at work, so no hand history to convert. Bear with me and tell me what I should have done. This hand felt like I was spiraling out of control the whole time.

Stack sizes: PP $50, NL, I have $130, Villain has $43

Read on Villain: Gonna be careful here, because I have been misunderstood before. Villain is an above average player at Party Poker NL $50, which is to say that he has pretty good discipline preflop, seems to knows that his starting requirements should relate to his position, shows proportionally somewhat less aggression preflop than would be considered optimal by a 2+2er, and shows some, but not a lot of aggression after the flop. GT had him at 18/3/1 after about 130 hands. So, somewhat tight and passive.

I'm on the button with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. UTG or UTG + 1 (sorry, forgot his exact position, but "Villain" regardless) limps, folded to me, I limp, SB limps, BB checks.

$1.85 in pot. Flop comes A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Checked to me, I bet $2. SB folds, BB folds, villain raises to 4. I call, knowing I am beat, knowing without any doubt that he has AQ, I mean his stats, his limp from that position, his check/min-raise all combined was like a lighted billboard flashing his hole cards. But I was in love with the club on the board and was planning to fold to his next bet a if non-club fell, or a big bet even if it did. Okay, Okay, I know I'm chasing, but he has gotta have me on a small ace, no way he has me on a flush draw, and I'll be able to pound him pretty good if I runner-runner him.

$9.00 in Pot. Turn K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Villain bets $4, I call.

$17.00 in Pot. River: K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Villain bets, $12, certain I sucked out on him, I call.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:23 PM

Default Re: Got sucked in with A6(sooted): What should I have done?

Check the flop.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Check the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

also, consider raising preflop. the tight EP limper will lay down everything except a PP and you'll pick it up with a continuation bet 7/8 of the time.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But I was in love with the club on the board and was planning to fold to his next bet a if non-club fell, or a big bet even if it did.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you really put him on two pair, then neither an ace nor a six is an out for you.

Your effective stack size here is $43, because that's what his stack is. You're clearly not getting implied odds on your backdoor flush draw -- which you would only be getting with very very large stacks and an ATM opponent.

If you think he would make this c/r without an ace, then fine -- proceed with caution. If you're pretty confident that he has an ace if not AQ, however, then you're basically just on a runner-runner flush draw. I don't think this is profitable.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:28 PM

Me likey "check the flop!" Wish I'd thought of it. Because my ace sux and I need two cheap-as-possible cards, right?
Old 08-01-2005, 01:30 PM

It's WA/WB. Put in as little money as possible.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:36 PM

Given that you did not check the flop, I see no reason to continue after the CR. Getting even 3:1, can't we fold here?
Old 08-01-2005, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Given that you did not check the flop, I see no reason to continue after the CR. Getting even 3:1, can't we fold here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:53 PM

OK, so checking the flop is the better play. I definitely can see that in this situation. Now, I have screwed up and called the c/r, and the K has fallen. At this point, I have him on AQ, I am four flushed and I have three hidden outs to a chop (the other kings). He bets $4 at $9. Pot odds are a clear fold without implied odds. I just "felt" like I could make some serious coin if I hit my flush, that any move I made representing the flush would look like bs to him and he'd pay me off. How does the math actually work?

And, btw: I was certain that we were going to split this pot--should I have pushed? I think this is the biggest mistake I made, failing to represent a set of Kings. It didn't occur to me at the time, but looking back, it seems like maybe it would have worked, although I can't imagine how he buys a hand with a king in it calling his check raise. Still, in my mind I had the safety net of a split, so, should I have tried it?
Old 08-01-2005, 01:56 PM

Default Addendum to last response: Got sucked in with A6(sooted):

sorry--should I have pushed when the second king came on the river, giving me what I was nearly certain was a split? that's what I was asking