Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2005, 04:52 AM

Default S8 third street questions

I have just started trying to learn stud8 because it looks to be a juicy game. I know a 853 rainbow is a crap hand but here are some I am unclear on playing on 3rd street for just a bring in and say 3 babies are out.

678 rainbow
A26 rainbow how about A56?
TJQ suited

Thanks for your input.

Cheers,
Luca
Old 08-01-2005, 05:27 AM

Default Re: S8 third street questions

678 is a good hand because it can escape as a low or a high hand

A26 and A56 are great low starting hands. I don't usually fodl them on third, but they're not the kind of hands i want to peel after bricking on 4th unless they're suited.

QJT sucks.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:34 AM

there are situations when it is ok to play (8-5)3 or (8-3)5 [especially when defending a bring-in] but (3-5)8 should pretty much never be played voluntarily except for when you are the only low draw (and half the pot will be likely worth playing for)

i like 678, especially if the 8 is in the hole
any 3 card six is a great hand, especially if it has an ace...
TJQ suited you pretty much have to play as well... you need to raise coming in with the hand so your opponents will assume you are playing a big split pair... this will allow you to steal the pot later on if they catch bad on 4th or 5th (it almost doesn't matter what you catch in this situation) - the good thing about this hand is you can take cards off because there are a lot of cards that can help you

mike
Old 08-01-2005, 10:46 AM

678 is playable, but don't get crazy with it when your 5's and 9's are dead or when a 4 up raises and is called by a 5 up

A26 and A56 are good low hands and can hit an ace for 2 way potential. i like them a lot

i aviod TJQ
Old 08-01-2005, 12:24 PM

Get Ray Zee's book.

876 is a pretty good start, especially in a short-handed pot. With a lot of players in, it becomes less likely that either a rough Eight or a straight is going to be a winner.

A65 and A62 are very good starts. I often raise with these hands (I'm a loose cannon), and the action would have to be pretty heavy to get me to think about folding them on third. If you brick off on fourth, however, you should usually fold.

Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] is a good starter, and my hand would have to be really dead and/or the action really heavy in order to get me off of it. I will sometimes raise with such a hand if I think there is a decent chance that I can steal the antes.

QJT rainbow is garbage, though.