Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2005, 02:44 PM

Default Do you back 2 pair with your stack here?

Full Tilt $50 NL (6-max) 6-handed. I don't know of a converter for Full Tilt, so I'll do my best.

I only have 67 hands on the villain here, but he's been very tight for this table and very aggressive on the flop. 18/10 with a 12.0 AF on the flop and 4.0 overall post-flop.

Villain is UTG+1 and has ~ $58 and I have within $0.25 of exactly the same.

Hero is in the SB with 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

UTG calls $0.50, Villian calls $0.50, CO folds, Button calls $0.50, Hero completes, BB checks.

5 to the flop (Pot $2.50)

Flop: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

<font color="red"> Hero bets $3.00 </font>, BB folds, UTG folds, <font color="red"> Villain raises to $8.00 </font>, Button folds, <font color="red"> Hero raises to $20.00 </font>, <font color="red"> Villain raises to $58.00 (All-In) </font>, <font color="red"> Hero calls $38.00 </font>.

What do you think? As usual, all comments, criticisms, or other thoughts appreciated.

Mack
Old 07-31-2005, 02:52 PM

Default Re: Do you back 2 pair with your stack here?

I don't think I'm calling that all-in bet... Actually, I'm not sure about the 3-bet on the flop either...
Old 07-31-2005, 03:00 PM

Looks like a set to me with a limped 88 or 66
Old 07-31-2005, 03:02 PM

My plan would be to c/r this flop with a pot sized bet. I think you gain more information this way then by leading the flop, and you also over-represent your hand to villian(s), who now think you are more than likely to have a set. You also run the risk of it checking around, but that's a risk I don't mind making here with bottom 2.

This hand is a good example of why a c/r is maybe better. I can't blame you for the actions you took once you led the flop. But if you plan a c/r and it goes villian bet, hero c/r, villian reraise, then you can probably fold it.
Old 07-31-2005, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, I'm not sure about the 3-bet on the flop either...

[/ QUOTE ]

If you just call the flop raise, what's your plan for the turn? Check/Call a blank turn for a pot-sized bet? Check/Fold? Lead and fold to a raise, and if so what do you lead?
Old 07-31-2005, 03:36 PM

Yes, I call this hand. Since you hold two pair, a set becomes much more unlikely here. If that's the case... well, oh well. He's likely either donking a KQ or push a flush draw with his aggression level. I call this every day of the week against this guy.
Old 07-31-2005, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My plan would be to c/r this flop with a pot sized bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an interesting line, and one I take a lot of times with a flopped 2-pair or better from the blinds. I elected to lead mostly because I didn't want to let a flush draw or gutshot have a free turn, and with 4 others still in the pot, I thought both of these could likely be out there.

Against a lot of players I might not 3-bet, or at least laid it down to the push, but the reasons I went ahead and got in were:

1.) This player was really aggressive on the flop, and I could see him raising the first time with several hands I beat, like AQ (particularly with the Ah), Ahxh, Th9h, and maybe even worse.

2.) Since I had an 8 and a 6, that makes a set of those much less likely, and this guy is too aggro pre-flop to limp QQ.

3.) I can't see him limping with Q8 or Q6 here, because he's pretty tight pre-flop.

Of course, after he pushed, I quickly thought that there was a good chance I was toast, but with $80 already in the pot, I felt compelled to call. Do you think that's a leak at 6-max?
Old 07-31-2005, 03:55 PM

You made the correct play, and your reasoning backs that up(same as mine so I know it's correct [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]), thus you are compelled to call.

Results?
Old 07-31-2005, 04:01 PM

Meh, just ignore what I said because

a)I wasn't sure anyway
b)I suck at 6-max
c)I missed your read
Old 07-31-2005, 04:12 PM

fold. if you had a different suit for your 8 then it might be closer. the only hand that you beat here would be 9h7h. i'm not surprised to see a set here.