Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2005, 01:57 PM

Default 50K hand checkup @ $1/$2 6-max, need some help w/ VPIP

Been a while since I posted in this forum, but I've been playing more again lately and would like to loosen up a little. My 18% VP$IP is entirely too low, I know this, and I'm pretty sure I'm suffering a little in the blinds because of this. However, I'm not entirely sure about all of the hands I should be defending with vs a raiser from MP and several callers, or just a lone raiser from the button, though I have a general idea. I also need to loosen up in LP a little bit. If anyone can give me some recommendations or some help in this area or any other area I'd greatly appreciate it.

----

Old 07-31-2005, 02:05 PM

Default Re: 50K hand checkup @ $1/$2 6-max, need some help w/ VPIP

1.) Play more hands PF in later position. Get your VPIP to at least 20, IMO.
2.) Your PFR% and cold call % look good.
3.) Defend your BB somewhat more often against aggressive opponents. 69% is too high to be folding... 60% I think is the theoretically optimum point.
4.) Against weaker opponents, steal more blinds. Given the tendency for so many calling stations at 1/2 6, I don't think you should try stealing that much more often, but your % does look a little low.
Old 07-31-2005, 02:06 PM

And how the HELL did you manage to make straight flush the only hand you lose $$ with? Just a funny quirk...
Old 07-31-2005, 02:10 PM

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (10.25 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12.25 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
BB has 8c Td (straight flush, eight high).
Hero has Jc Ad (straight flush, seven high).
Outcome: BB wins 12.25 BB. </font>

:|
Old 07-31-2005, 02:38 PM

I had a similar problem w/ my VPIP and subsequent winrate, and this was solved by a single stroke (as pointed out by Donger) - defend the BB more.

I went from 71% FBB to 50%, thus raising my VPIP from 21 to 25. My winrate has also been steadily climbing b/c many donks are lost postflop after you call their steal raise.
Old 07-31-2005, 02:46 PM

I haven't looked, but don't post results. Just don't.
Old 07-31-2005, 03:16 PM

Amazing. How do you keep your VPIP so low. It's lower than my PFR. I guess you multitable, right?

Follow the advice given by other posters and maybe cutdown on multitabling until you improve. And stop playing 1/2. 50K hands is enough! Try 2/4 in stars. Same game (or even worse? I wonder), double the profits.
Old 07-31-2005, 03:28 PM

Wow, that is tight. I'm actually a lot tighter than you UTG, about the same in MP and then I open up a lot.

I think most of your missing VP$IP comes from not stealing more in CO and on the button but I'm not sure if trying to steal more works well at 1/2. You should probably defend a bit more from the big-blind.

It is also perfectly legal to limp on the button at the right table and against the right opponents. For example middle suited connectors, a suited ace and small pocket pairs after a couple of limpers.
Old 07-31-2005, 03:51 PM

I do limp with those hands on the button, plus hands like QJo, K10o, K9s, J10o, etc which have been small winners for me. I guess I'm just not stealing/defending enough. What hands should I be defending with in the BB?
Old 07-31-2005, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What hands should I be defending with in the BB?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on how loose/aggro your opponent is, of course. Against a typical opponent, I've been defending w/ any two broadways, suited aces and kings, any ace, kings with a medium+ kicker, suited connectors down to 2 gappers, and some unsuited connnectors...

Basically, I've loosened up to any hand with 50%+ equity v an opponent with a random holding.