Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2003, 10:18 AM

Default River bet or check?

Good 10-20 game, KhTc in bb, 7-way, free play.

Flop: 9h3h3c. Checked to button (straightforward) who bets, sb calls, I call, and 2 others call too. 5-way. Call is okay?

Turn: 5s. Checked through.

River: Th. Bet or check?
Old 03-09-2003, 11:34 AM

Default Re: River bet or check?

I would have folded on the flop-you don't have a hand.

If you proceeded to play through I would check on the river. With all those players someone probably has a flush.
Old 03-09-2003, 02:19 PM

I chucked on the flop forsure, someone could already have you dominated, plus you don't have a big draw. When you hit the 10 on the river, I would probably just check. There's a big chance that a flush is out.
Old 03-09-2003, 04:30 PM

I agree with the other responses. Fold the flop because there are too many ways you can hit one of your cards and still lose especially against so many players. Then the flush danger is great on the river. I think you probably have to check or maybe bet and fold to any raise.
Old 03-09-2003, 06:09 PM

I haven't looked at the other responses yet, but I'll be interested to see who else would have made it past the flop, cuz I muck my hand at that point. Sure, the button might just be making a position bet, but I don't want to call with 4 players left to act behind me.

That said, if I do make the flop call and it gets checked around on the turn, then I'm going to assume that either nobody has a 3 or they wanted to check-raise figuring the button would bet again and it didn't happen. There has to be at least one heart draw out there, and overcards.

When the 10h hits on the river, you have to check and fold to a bet. You've gotta figure somebody just hit the flush. Wouldn't surprise me if a middle-position player and the button both have flushes. And you still have to wonder about the possibly missed check-raise by the owner of a 3 on the turn. Too much risk, not enough profit with only 6 BB in the pot.

Back to battle,

Riker
Old 03-10-2003, 04:48 AM

Muck on the flop. All you have is overcards on a board which could have you drawing nearly dead to trips.

PokerPrince
Old 03-10-2003, 01:00 PM

I agree with the other posters that folding is best. But if you absolutely MUST play this hand postflop, I think you have to checkraise the button and lead the turn.
Old 03-10-2003, 01:09 PM

Well, seems like the interesting part of this hand is the flop play... Thank you for your input!
Old 03-10-2003, 08:29 PM

Let me disagree with the others - depending on my exact read of button, I would probably have raised on the flop. The pot has a lot of money in it, and the big blind is the most likely spot to find a 3.